PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally solved this problem thanks to the help from fellow folks here.
Canister ordered on eBay from a gentleman in Australia. Took a week to get.

And yes it came with a solar blanket.
Thanks @DandyDon for his guidance.
I thought you were working on making your own canister, or was that someone else?

I like that one from Australia. I use a bolt snap and key ring to attach it to my BC. Use brass, not stainless steel, as the latter will not hold up in saltwater. Do use some silicone grease on the o-ring before every trip, replace the o-ring every year or two, and maybe spray liquid silicone on the threads as a lubricant. Let me know if you find the o-rings locally, but I ordered a couple from the Australian to be sure I got the right size.

I don't know why he include the carrying pouch, but do not use it diving as mentioned in his notices.

Did you get a PLB yet? I haven't seen any sales on the recent models or the new ones. ACR often offers a rebate program in the spring, but may not bother with the the new models out.

I use a bolt snap and key ring to attach it to my BC. Use brass, not stainless steel, as the latter will not hold up in saltwater.
You must be using cheapo stainless ones, with mild steel springs.

You must be using cheapo stainless ones, with mild steel springs.
I've been using a brass snapbolt, but with stainless key rings from the local hardware store, as I have been using on dive light and camera lanyards.

I am now waiting on this order of 20 brass key rings for $9.09: 20 Pieces Brass Key Chains Rings for Home Car Keys Organization Attachment | eBay

If you need both, here is a brass snapbolt & ring for $6.41: Heavy-Duty Bolt snap Key Carrier,No 44801, LUCKY LINE PROD INC 85721448010 | eBay

I thought you were working on making your own canister, or was that someone else?
Someone else/. I was interested in the one from LM but the price was too high for me.

Did you get a PLB yet?
Yes. I don't think they will go on sale. I paid no tax and got free shipping (online order).

Just got an update from the machine shop. He’ll use polyethylene.

Another improvement is to make the 3/16” o-ring a little snug so the lid wouldn’t get easily loosened by a bump. With the clear wall you can really see the sealing face by the width of the flat part of the o-ring. That’s the reason I pick thick o-ring (3/16”).

Also there is an option to add 2nd sealing surface, if needed. That is the 2.5” ID x 3” OD x 1/16” thick gasket underneath the lid flange face, as shown in the drawing. That gasket can also act as another restriction for the lid from getting twisted open by accident. To prevent such situation to occur, basically you have to twist the lid hard enough to open it.

My prototype PLB case would cost $125 (1 hour labor of $90/hr + $35 of the material). As you see in my earlier post that just the 2.5” ID x 3.0” OD acrylic tube cost $65/ft. It will get cheaper if we make more.

It’ll be finished in 2 weeks. Then I’ll test it later in June when I go diving in Flower Garden Banks. So, stay tune! :D

Got it today! It looks & feel pretty beefy. You can see the wide flat ring seal surface of the o-ring on the clear see-through acrylic cylinder. :)

It should fit ACR ResQLink 400 too. :)

The canister, with PLB1 in it, floats. So I need to figure out how to make it neutrally buoyant. Any ideas?

I’ll take it down to 100’ depth in Flower Garden Banks in June and see how it stands.

3B2B35A0-4A69-4F4C-B952-AA813D4359E3.jpeg

The canister, with PLB1 in it, floats. So I need to figure out how to make it neutrally buoyant. Any ideas?
I want mine to float in case I fumble it. It's black so I ran yellow tape around it. I use a brass snap blot and brass ring to clip it to my BC. It never gets in the way, but easy to reach.

OK. Let it float it is then. :)

Since the PLB1 is smaller than any other PLBs, I’ll fill the free space with something else like, car key or any small important thing to take it with me diving.

The canister actually fits nicely inside my Cressi Travelight BCD pocket right under the integrated weight pouch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom