SUUNTO Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know of any reason to have it checked, although that is a right included in the settlement. From all my reading, there is no “subtle” failure mode - when it fails it give you obviously wildy wrong info. (Hundreds of feet deep on the surface) You don’t need a second opinion to determine that.

You can always try to send it in if you like and see what happens. Suunto does track every serial number, and will know yours was not a US sale, if they check or even care to. Call the toll free number and ask them, their answer is the only one that matters, not mine.

I am currently battling Suunto tech support in Canada over this issue, so I thought I should post to let people know what to expect up here.

The short version is earlier this year my Suunto watch went crazy on a dive, and, finding the results of the US settlement online I contacted Suunto to see if they would honour repair/replacement in Canada. Suunto asked me to ship my watch to their Canadian authorized repair company, who then promptly refused to even inspect the watch because it was out of warranty. So that was a giant waste of shipping. I took this up with Suunto, who are now basically telling me they will not do anything to a) repair or replace the watch because they have no legal liabilty in Canada to do so and b) reimburse me for the shipping charges I incurred to have someone tell me they wouldn't even look at the watch. Why they told me to send it to this other company when no one had any intention of doing anything, I have no idea.

So i've given up fighting with Suunto on the pressure sensor side of things (although it's crazy to me they're willing to allow people to potentially be hurt by having these watches out in the wild), and I am just trying to get them to return my watch to me without having to incur further costs. I also reached out to a large consumer law group in Canada, who let me know they are already working on a class action suit for Canada. Anyone interested in joining the suit can be added to the list via

Start My Class Action | Consumer Law Group Class Actions Canada

@jhogan55 is there a group listed already for Suunto under your link? I didn't see anything under their list of class actions nor did anything show up when doing a search for "Suunto".

@Fragola apologies, I should have been clearer. I found nothing about a current class action either, so I hit "Start my class action" and filled in the details, and received the following reply (personal info removed):

You have been added to our list of potential claimants for this class action. You can expect that we will keep you informed of any major development in this case, such as your right to make a claim in the event of a settlement or a successful judgment. Nevertheless, we encourage you to check our website every 3 to 6 months for any updated information that has been posted online about this case.​

@jhogan55 thanks for the link. I have completed my details. Let's hope this leads to some action. It's been 3 years since I have used my Zoop as it's now only good to use as a glorified waterproof beach/pool watch.

My USPS Informed Delivery mail preview shows me a letter from Suunto Dive Computer Settlement. I can't wait to see what they say. Has anyone else received a letter this week?

I went through 5 Suuntos in 2 1/2 years ( Vytec, 2 D9, Cobra, Mosquito). All had pressure sensor failures. I sent one D9 in under the Suunto Lawsuit. They say it had water damage to the main board inside. Computer had original battery and 100 dives on it. This is the way that Suunto is mitigating their losses in this whole fiasco. They will allow only a small percentage of claims to actually go through. The ones they reject, they will offer another suunto model ( which is probably old stock they want to clear out) at a small discount price. They are still making dealer + profit when people buy the replacement. Personally will never buy a Suunto product again.

I had three Cobra 1s. One had very few dives and the Pressure Sensor went bad. I sent it in a couple of months ago and was told it did not qualify for the free fix. They offered me a Cobra 3 at about half price and I took it. I've owned numerous Suunto's all the way back to the Companion. The other two Cobra 1 are still working along with a Zoop and Favor.

I had my Suunot Vyper fail with pressure sensor. I took it to an authorized dealer who cahrged me US$20 just to look at it. They knew even before checking it that it was the pressure sensor. Suunto refused to repair it even though I had receipts as it was out of warranty and I was not in the USA.

Well I bought a Shearwater Perdix and if anyone now asks me about a SUUNTO I tell them to stay away from them. Suunto knew for years their pressure sensors were shite and denied it.

Their reputation has really suffered due to this sensor issue .

I still use my Suunto's , I always have a backup anyway but I expect my Suuntos to all fail sooner than later .

Too bad , they had a great reputation before this and now they are an industry joke around here .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom