Chinese generic regulators - fit-for-purpose or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasmineNeedsGills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So starting to get my kit back together to start diving again. So far I scored a very happy bargain for a Suunto Cobra AI console computer (£130!). I was thinking about 2nd hand 1st and 2nd stage as well, but the cost of getting a service done here makes it something of a false economy, since I'm definitely not looking at top of the line kit - just the basic entry level stuff as I'm staying decidedly "recreational", and have never been one to buy top of the line anything.

So, I've waded into the weaverfish and box jelly infested waters that are AliExpress, and come accross these generic Chinese regs and wondered what people think of them for using on a pony/AAS (though I will be doing strictly rec, for peace of mind I will be using a 3L pony for emergency/AAS only, no deco stage bottles or anything fancy)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-NEW-Scuba-Diving-Snorkel-Tube-Dive-2nd-Stage-Regulator-Swimming-Mask-Snorkel-E1024/32948281173.html?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCP-Scuba-Diving-UPGRADE-STYLE-First-Stage-Regulator-Dive-Regulator-Yoke-Filling-Adapter-Diving-Compressor-1/32840888090.html

I've tried looking back on SB for any mentions of these, but no joy so far. Also tried looking up the pseudo-brand names on google but no reviews there either.

Again, I'm not expecting them to be competing with top quality gear, but really as an alternative to my preferred regular brand option which would be the Mares Rover series (1st and 2nd stage) for both primary and AAS, so really I just wondered what peoples ideas and experiences are regarding them being fit-for-purpose and functional? All thoughts welcome :)

Well... when you need the pony for real it won't be for s and g. Reserve equipment needs to be equal to or better then your main gear.

Well... when you need the pony for real it won't be for s and g. Reserve equipment needs to be equal to or better then your main gear.
Agreed - I don’t get the desire by some to go cheap on items that need to work in order to keep you alive.

They are real cheap (price). Something is not right.:(

Those are the least-performance devices I’ve ever seen. The first stage is very likely an unsealed piston similar to those advertised as being deco-only because of performance problems at depth. The design is likely a very very old one or deco-only, with only 1 HP and 3 LP ports. The second stage has barbed fittings on the end, like for shop compressor applications. Neither of these are designed for use as primary SCUBA devices. Period.

Will they work? Maybe. But no one can say. The manufacturer doesn’t claim it will, and who is going to aregue with that?

And that’s before we talk about the very, very real fact that these may not live up to even the reduced claims the manufacturer is making.

This is life support equipment. I constantly have to fight against being cheap. (Yup, I said it: im cheap.) But this is several bridges too far for me. YMMV, of course, but you need to know how really far away this is going.

Your argument about the false economy with used is not unreasonable, but a fact of life. At least with a used reg set designed for the purpose, you *know* they will work for the purpose. The ones you linked... not so much, even when they’re *brand* new.

And I echo @Vitesse2l : if you need a pony, you NEED it. Not the time to find out your $75 reg package is a $75 sculpture...

They are real cheap (price). Something is not right.:(

That was my thought as well, but just wanted to check, as in some industries, generic brands are ridiculously different in price for basically the same product from the same factory.

This is kind of related. I came across this Chinese wing on eBay. Wasn’t looking to spend $160 on a Chinese wing (actually want to order a vdh) but I do love the multicam cover. Does anyone know a place that does either custom wing covers or makes reliable ones that come in multicam?

Scuba Dive Donut Wing Single Tank 30lb/13.3kg Dive BCD Buoyancy Compensator https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163626010060

That was my thought as well, but just wanted to check, as in some industries, generic brands are ridiculously different in price for basically the same product from the same factory.

These aren't even *close* to even the lowest-end recreational SCUBA equipment. I'm not saying they don't have a purpose and a function, I'm saying that they are designed to fill a function quite different from reasonable recreational SCUBA gear. You can tell the difference in a single glance.

The fact that you may not be able to tell tell the difference in a single glance is *perfectly* fine. However, it demonstrates that in your current state you may not want to stray that far from the reservation. If you do, you *will* find that you end up buying a lot of things that end up being 'too clever by half'.

How do I know? Let me show you the equipment I have stacked up in my workshop... :)

For the fun of it, I went to LeisurePro to find the cheapest way to get a setup. You can save a dollar or two, but realistically the cheapest you can get is the packaged first and second stages: Cressi and Oceanic are both under $200 for a first and second stage. Oceanic Alpha 7 SP5 Regulator You're still missing an octo and pressure gauge. Add those and you're looking at $400.

For comparison, here is what I think is the best value in regulators: the Apeks DST/XTX clones. The DRIS Illusion is $400 (Illusion Streamlined OW Regulator Package) and the DGX is $450. (DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Single Tank Reg Package). I personally prefer the exhaust tee and the glass SPG on the DGX so I spent the extra $50; for my stage reg set I used the DRIS because the second stage is reversible.

And now you know why *SO* *MANY* people buy those reg sets. Are they "tech oriented"? Maybe... But they're *value* oriented. For the SAME PRICE as the cheapest recreational regs, we get *WAY* better regs: sealed balanced diaphragm with balanced adjustable seconds, and *all* of the necessary stuff. $400.

Truly, you are *not* going to do better than that. You can spend more and (maybe) get more, but you can't spend less without losing something. And if you're spending below $300 new, you are getting so little, you will *very* likely get *too* little -- and certainly so little you will find yourself needing to upgrade *way* faster.

All of this IMHO, of course. Value is up to each person. But on the low end, there isn't that much wiggle room. If you're spending less than $400, you *really* need to figure out what you're losing, because you're losing something, and you may very well *need* it. If you're spending more than $400, you also want to figure out what you're getting for that. For example, the Deep 6 Signature regs are a couple of hundred dollars more. Why? Lots of things: free service, free *parts*, free case, and small but noticeable improvements to the design. Worth $200? For me, no: I do my own service. If you don't, then very likely *yes*: You get the design improvements for free, and you're just pre-paying for the first service.

Again, your measure of value might be different. But in the current marketplace, there just isn't any new SCUBA equipment you can buy designed for your *needs* for noticeably less than $400. Unless you want to be a guinea pig, and your current experience and knowledge does not lend itself to that path... (ETA: Sorry, I confused posters. I thought you said you had <50 dives. I don' t know what OP's experience is. I would still guess that it's still the case, because a glance at those AliExpress parts would tell you these are not useful for even normal recreational diving.)

Just for the removal of any doubt (I don't think there was any doubt, really), the S and G was 'sh!ts and giggles'.

To the OP, as others have said, spend more for a recognise brand and ensure it is serviced. Get yourself trained in it's use (which you probably are already). Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom