Diving Panglao Phillippines and skin bends.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emjaty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We will be going to Phillippines next month (end of May) I'm looking for recommendations for a dive shop on Alona that takes smaller groups and we can have our own guide. We are a group of 4. One in our group got skin bends last time we dove (3 years ago in Roatan--all of our dives have been there over the years). It was just a rash, no neurological problems or ride in the chamber...just a painful rash and tired. He has dove many times before this with never having any issues and we still can't figure out from his safe dive profile how it happened. From what we have read, it can happen...dehydration perhaps?? It was recommended to dive with nitrox. . Anyone use a shop that they recommend? Also, any other divers have the skin bends and want to tell us how you proceeded to dive again? Thanks!

Also, if you have another spot you like recommend let me know. I picked Alona due to Buscanga, decompression chamber close by in Bohol and other things to do other than diving, easier dives as in depth and currents. I understand Alona is touristy and can get crowded. TIA.

Easiest way to get skin bends is to use an electric heating vest on a dive with lots decompression and only switch the vest on after you get pretty cold during deco.
The next best way is to do lots of decodives within a couple of days, without skipping a decodive to help you outgas better. My body didn't like 8 longer 60+M dives within 76hrs, even though my computer didn't gripe.
Done both, the 1st one healed by itself. The other one involved 2 helicopter rides, 4 chamber rides, and a messed up sense of balance that continues to this day.

Michael

Wow Michael! Do you still dive? That sounds intense and expensive! Glad you are ok despite the balance issues.

Diving in Roatan? Did this trip take place in the spring? Who diagnosed it?

I was going to ask the same thing you sure it was skin bends and not a reaction to something else? We were in Roatan three years ago and everybody in our group got sick. Also for the Philippines since you looking close to Bohol I would recommend Amun Ini Beach Resort in Anda Bohol it’s a small resort with a great dive shop and they also have Nitrox and cater to small groups.

Diving in Roatan? Did this trip take place in the spring? Who diagnosed it?

Yes it was March 2016. He was seen at Anthony Key Resort clinic by a Dive Dr. I can't remember his name. Since he wasn't symptomatic he didn't have to go in the chamber. It wasn't a normal rash (I'm a RN). It was something I had never seen before. Blue/purple streaks all over my husbands abdomen. He was very fatigued, chilled and felt like needles were being poked in his skin on his stomach the day before. He slept for a few hours then woke up feeling fine and dove again the next day. It was after that dive that the discoloration appeared and we were instructed by our DM to be seen. He hasn't dove since. We are looking at nitrox now with very conservative dives for the Philippines. If he has a repeat, he will be tested for a PFO.

I was going to ask the same thing you sure it was skin bends and not a reaction to something else? We were in Roatan three years ago and everybody in our group got sick. Also for the Philippines since you looking close to Bohol I would recommend Amun Ini Beach Resort in Anda Bohol it’s a small resort with a great dive shop and they also have Nitrox and cater to small groups.
Did you dive both Alone and Anda? I like the smaller look of Anda but read the dives aren't as good? what was your take?

We are looking at nitrox now with very conservative dives for the Philippines. If he has a repeat, he will be tested for a PFO.

Wow, sorry he had to go through that!

Are you planning on setting your dive computers to nitrox, or leaving them set to air?

n
Wow, sorry he had to go through that!

Are you planning on setting your dive computers to nitrox, or leaving them set to air?
I read it was recommended to set to air with nitrox. Can you confirm?

That trip we dove Anda, Camigan, Dauin and Apo all were great diving. Anda has some good smallish walls with tons of life and we did one dive in a sandy slope to see Blue Ringed Octopus. I don’t think you will be disappointed anywhere you go in the Philippines and for me Roatan doesn’t even compare but that’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

Back
Top Bottom