How to Make a Buoy Bell Wind Chime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSinks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a couple old AL80 6351 Alloy tanks that are good for nothing, people have suggested making a bell or other projects. But the tonal qualities of the AL make for a poor bell, it works but if looking for a nice bell sound it doesn't do it.

But I've always wanted to have a big wind chime that sounds like a buoy bell. That beautiful pure bell sound a buoy makes is very alluring to me, it calls me to the sea, I could listen to it all day! I've seen a couple times where people of taken an old piece of scrap metal and made a great buoy bell! I would love to make one, but I don't have a lot of metal lying around to do trial and error, if someone could post a simple plan along the lines of "get an old 68 Chevy Impala bumper cut it in half, it sounds like a buoy" or maybe post photos of buoy bells you have made it would be great!

Aluminum tank - cylinders -have very little value in the repurposing world as bells

I made a umbrella stand with the bottom and the top I mounted a gold plated US Diver regulator,

I made a dog bowl but my finicky dog Lucky rejected it.

I suggested to my wife that we make some sort of serving bowls which was strongly rejected - yet since our children were tots we have been using selected Lions Paw Scallops as sald dishes--????

You might examine a NEW Never Filled 5 gallon propane tank as a possible starting point. Make sure it is NEW Never Filled before begin cutting -- propane is highly flammable

SDM

Make sure it is NEW Never Filled before begin cutting -- propane is highly flammable

Could fill it with water before cutting, the trick is insuring there are no gas/air pockets for the torch to light off. Check with a local junkyard proprietor for details, this technique is used on or around auto gas tanks.

Bob

I made a dog bowl but my finicky dog Lucky rejected it.

That's hilarious. I can imagine my dogs looking at me with "what is this?!?!?"

Could fill it with water before cutting, the trick is insuring there are no gas/air pockets for the torch to light off. Check with a local junkyard proprietor for details, this technique is used on or around auto gas tanks.

Bob

Yes, be sure that it is fully filled! (No, zero, nada gas [as in state of matter] in it). When I was a kid, I was watching my neighbor weld an old Chevy in-cab pickup tank. He found out there was a very little bit that wasn't filled with water when the stick holed the tank ... :eek:

Fortunately the only casualties were reputation and underware.

Possibly one of the most explosive items in the American home (patio) is a 5 gallon propane tank.

It is a modern day Russian roulette to weld it filled with water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom