Living costs in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Brad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am considering doing my PADI IDC and an Instructor internship towards the end of this year.

I have a short list made, and a couple places in the Philippines are on it.

Could anyone give me the costs of rent, food, drink, transportation and other necessities please?

Cheers
JB

Compared to what? It all depends on your lifestyle and how you live your life. The locals live on $ 300-500 per month...many expats get by on $ 1000-1500.

It depends on what you do and especialy where you do it...

Cheapest diving is usually 1000-1100php a dive. Meals can be as cheap as 20-40php if you eat street food.

Lodging, again depending of your level of comfort and the island you are on... 400-1500... more if you are fancy.

Food costs will also depend on whether you eat in restaurants or cook your own. I bought 4 roma tomatoes in Sabang for 19 P....thats about 50 cents Canadian, so some things are quite inexpensive. Philippinos eat a lot of rice with some veggies and a bit of meat or seafood on it. I'm sure that can be done for very little.

Hello all,

I am considering doing my PADI IDC and an Instructor internship towards the end of this year.

I have a short list made, and a couple places in the Philippines are on it.

Could anyone give me the costs of rent, food, drink, transportation and other necessities please?

Cheers
JB

Hi Jon,

Which locations in the Philippines do you have on your list?

Hi Jon,

As previously mentioned any living costs are personal depending on your own preferences and comforts, however, generally living on a small consumer island basic costs will be more because everything has to be shipped in.

Malapascua mainly

Accommodation ranges from P4,000 to P20,000 per month depending on your needs and if you have AC or not. Finding somewhere with a kitchen is challenging though.

You can eat 'local' style for p100 per meal or maybe less, or you can spend p500 on a pizza.

You can drink imported beers for P200 at the resorts or buy local beers in the store for p30 and a bottle of rhum for p50.

Cebu to Malapascua on public transport is P200 for the bus, P100 for the boat and maybe another P50 for small boat on either side depending on tides. Or you can get private transport for between P4000 and P6000 one way.

Assume anything else like toothpaste and soap to be either not available or around 20% more than buying it in Cebu. Anything "special" you need you should bring, like contact lenses etc.

Enjoy!

Accommodation ranges from P4,000 to P20,000 per month depending on your needs and if you have AC or not. Finding somewhere with a kitchen is challenging though.

You can eat 'local' style for p100 per meal or maybe less, or you can spend p500 on a pizza.

You can drink imported beers for P200 at the resorts or buy local beers in the store for p30 and a bottle of rhum for p50.

Cebu to Malapascua on public transport is P200 for the bus, P100 for the boat and maybe another P50 for small boat on either side depending on tides. Or you can get private transport for between P4000 and P6000 one way.

Assume anything else like toothpaste and soap to be either not available or around 20% more than buying it in Cebu. Anything "special" you need you should bring, like contact lenses etc.

Enjoy!

Great info, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom