SCUBA Internships in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I was younger, with no obligations, I'd look into it...

RR runs a great operation (from a customer's point of view). What they're doing is no different then what most of the dive industry does, except they do it 'better'...

I have no problems with intenships. It's the only way teh majority of people can gain experience actually working full time at a centre and finding out how much more there is to it rather than just diving.

I would rather DM Candidates actually serve time at gain the experience, which can only be gained by working with customers and experiencing all the problems that come up in real life. I have little time for those who take the Zero - Hero course and get the card without getting any real life experience.

A DM who has worked as a CA in the pool and on courses with a few instructors will be in a better place to take IDC and IE - after all you can teach a monkey to pass IE but there are a lot of skills and techniques you can learn by assisting others that teach that help you as a new instructor.

Personally I'd be happy to take a 6 month sabbatical to complete IDC Staff ( so gaining experience staffing multiple IDC's) and being able to head towards (if not complete (MI). Along the way working alongside other instructor and having the ability to learn from their methods and techniques and exchange experiences (we never stop leaning).

My one question for @Capt Jim Wyatt is this though

Do the new OWSI instructors actually teach 25 students the full courses and earn their MSDT cert

Or do they just assist with 25 students by team teaching etc and are given 25 certs and MSDT?

My one question for @Capt Jim Wyatt is this though

Do the new OWSI instructors actually teach 25 students the full courses and earn their MSDT cert

Or do they just assist with 25 students by team teaching etc and are given 25 certs and MSDT?

They teach 25 students after they team teach a few students with an experienced instructor, who is at minimum an IDC staff instructor.

They are not given the certs. Simply giving them the certs after watching someone else teach the class would not be productive. Gaining experience actually teaching the class is what makes the gig worthwhile for them.

They teach 25 students after they team teach a few students with an experienced instructor, who is at minimum an IDC staff instructor.

They are not given the certs. Simply giving them the certs after watching someone else teach the class would not be productive. Gaining experience actually teaching the class is what makes the gig worthwhile for them.

Thanks for the reply, and Kudo to you all that's an excellent way of approaching it (IMO)

There's nothing more scary than standing in front of students on your own for the first time delivering a course. And the way you're model appears to work, is that even then they're not on their own. If they get a student who's having a block on a certain skill, and the new OWSI runs out of ideas on how to work around that block, they have a support mechanism of experienced instructors to whom they can turn and receive advice and assistance thus increasing their "toolbox" of skills and techniques.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off topic posts (and their responses) have been deleted. A reminder that this is a forum to list job opportunities. It's OK to clarify the job details. It's not a place to debate the merits of those opportunities (think classifieds). If you think it's not a great fit for you, then don't apply. Simple. Marg, SB Senior Moderator.

Back
Top Bottom