SAR network - an idea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This isn't statistics, obviously, but how many of them vanish on the surface stage of the dive? It's not clear that in the incident that spawned this thread (or for that matter Anne Lynn's) a PLB would be of any use to anyone... I'd rent one for dollar a day if I were, say, going to shore dive on one of the tips of Bonaire, but even at that cost I wouldn't bother for "inner" dives, or boat dives on Klein.

I wouldn't bother for "inner" dives, or boat dives on Klein.
Montana, Texas? Not the lunar crater I'm sure. You can add location to your profile if you'd like to.

Whichever state, no, a PLB would be more of a safety feature driving thru dead spots to & from the dive site.

Montana, Texas? Not the lunar crater I'm sure. You can add location to your profile if you'd like to.

Whichever state, no, a PLB would be more of a safety feature driving thru dead spots to & from the dive site.

Over down under they rent/have sat. phones for such trips.

Over down under they rent/have sat. phones for such trips.
Did you view the pair of videos posted comparing devices?

Maybe, but the money is more likely effectively reducing their training budget since it reduces some of the need for for it. That applies more to military budgets than civilian government organizations who pay overtime and don't train nearly as intensively.

My avatar might give you an hint upon my activities.
At a given point in my life I had a SAR squadron working for me.
We were allocated a number of sorties and flying hours and events.
It did not matter if for real of training events. So we were doing the job for real or for training. We could never exhaust the events and flying hours (thanks God) for real events ...

Note: Originally from the PLBs Can Save Your Life thread, but this linked author has relevant information that includes (and crosses boundaries between) General SAR/Survival, Visual Search, and Radio Distress Devices so I am x-posting in these related threads as well:
- Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices
- SAR network - an idea.
If you haven't been following the other discussions in the group, it might be worth your while to look at them for a more rounded take on the various aspects.

Mario knows what he's talking about. He was a rescue swimmer in the USCG for a long time and now makes quite a bit of their equipment as a contractor. And his blog is worth reading.
EPIRBs Do Not Save Lives
Thank you for posting this!!!!

His articles (main lists here: Articles, Blogs, and Rants & https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/lifelines-safety-and-rescue-at-sea) are a great resource covering multiple aspects of Sea Survival & SAR.

I'm pulling out a few specific ones here that I found to be very relevant to the ongoing discussions ...
Radio Distress Devices:
- EPIRBs Do Not Save Lives (article originally linked by @rjack321)
- https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/epirb-ais-satellite
- https://www.soundingsonline.com/ask-mario-videos/ask-mario-epirbs-vs-satellite-tracking-devices
Visibility:
- Over Here! Being Found is About Being Seen
Survivability:
- Giving Up: Why the Coast Guard Quits Looking
- https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/cold-hard-facts

After reading through the thread and seeing all the ideas being discussed, I think this is an excellent idea and I would like to help in any way possible. I have been involved in the Fire/Rescue/EMS field for over 30 years with the last 19 heading up a public safety dive team. I would be interested in helping with the checklist mentioned below:
Have a checklist of action items that can be done by the group, by the family & friends of the divers, by anyone involved in the SAR, & by people in the area. Something which can be used as a mini-training on the fly for all involved.
As far as funding, I know that some teams bill for services while others do not. My team only bills for vehicle recoveries through the owners insurance company. We do not bill for rescues or body recoveries. I think a project like this would have to seek donations as a funding resource. Just my 2 cents.I will look into how land based SAR teams, especially volunteer, get funding.

This is something I want to get behind!
I work at one of the largest Public Hospitals in the US, and the biggest improvements we have seen in patient care come from an optimized workflow.
(Even if we can publish standardized SAR guidelines to give out to locals, it could be a game changer.)

I would be happy to communicate with the emergency leaders on how to best integrate with EMS, or leverage any other healthcare contacts I have that can benefit this group.
From a technical standpoint I can help with hosting and would be willing to contribute some funding.

Let me know how I can help!

resq-
Billing practices and policies for EMA and SAR have been changing. In Yellowstone they have discussed billing for helo rescues for a long time. In many states, EMS responders can only charge if they transport the patient. If the patient can't afford an $800 ride, they can say "No thanks, I'll call Uber" and folks are actually doing that.
In NH, I think it has been 6? 8? years now, the state has had a fairly rational program that includes posting some of the wilderness areas. They're very up front about it: If you get caught by a surprise out of season blizzard and can't walk out...no problem. If you hike in without the right gear and get caught the same way in early January...you'll get a whopping bill for it. From what I've heard, this has been working for them.
Of course the USCG policy of "Hey, we'd rather have you call us while you're alive" and doing it all for free is nice--but there's a limit to how many organizations can spend how many hundred grand searching for the clueless folks, too.

If only we could get every money-earning resident to chip in a little to pay for these useful services like Coast Guard, or Park Rangers...

Back
Top Bottom