Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update. (endless thanks for all your patience!)

The impact standard requires testing the frame with the lenses. (Answering the question: Does flaming compromise a lens?) A properly fitting mask means that the frame (skirt) is properly sealed. This was no small feat!! I tried a bunch of things and had an 'aha' moment on one of my daily walks. OK, so nobody saw me fitting a dive mask to an endless number of stones in the local stream. I'm sure that I got away with it as I'm not currently in a formfitting white suit with arms that buckle in the back...

Anyway, huge progress. The head stage (rock) bolts to a 50# plate and allows for 3-point leveling. I can meet (easily exceed) the combined mass standard and the deflection standard for a Z87.1-2015 head stage.

I have the guide tube but found out that cobbling things together just to get it done makes everything really 'iffy'. Back to the steelyard on Monday to make a tripod for the guide tube and it is a go.

View attachment 513542

LOL, a good likeness

The impact standard requires testing the frame with the lenses. (Answering the question: Does flaming compromise a lens?) A properly fitting mask means that the frame (skirt) is properly sealed. This was no small feat!! I tried a bunch of things and had an 'aha' moment on one of my daily walks. OK, so nobody saw me fitting a dive mask to an endless number of stones in the local stream. I'm sure that I got away with it as I'm not currently in a formfitting white suit with arms that buckle in the back...

Anyway, huge progress. The head stage (rock) bolts to a 50# plate and allows for 3-point leveling. I can meet (easily exceed) the combined mass standard and the deflection standard for a Z87.1-2015 head stage.

I have the guide tube but found out that cobbling things together just to get it done makes everything really 'iffy'. Back to the steelyard on Monday to make a tripod for the guide tube and it is a go.

View attachment 513542
WOW. And you think that letting this all slip out in this post isn't going to to earn you a visit from some nice folks with form fitting fashion accessories? :sprint:

This from a guy who spent the better part of a day machining a hitch ballmount so that it would project 2" less behind his garden tractor ...

View attachment 513542

The rock reminds me of a Mr. Potato Head.

I`d just remember one very old method, used for Gas Masks, I think even from WW1 ! :)

POTATO! Fresh potato.
cut the fresh potato and rub glass by this cut side of tuber.
do not rinse glasses, and just let it dry.

Can you check this method?

LOL That is awesome! It probably works better than all the other methods, too.

But, one thing this eval may not really tell us is how each solution works after being in the water on a dive for an hour, with occasional leaks of water getting in and cleared and also occasional puffs of breath from the diver exhaling through their nose.

If a fresh potato rub works, I speculate that it would essentially get saturated and wash off relatively quickly during a dive. Something that wouldn't be as much of an issue inside a gas mask.

Well if the potato trick doesn't work I suspect you add it to all the others to make vodka :D

But, one thing this eval may not really tell us is how each solution works after being in the water on a dive for an hour, with occasional leaks of water getting in and cleared and also occasional puffs of breath from the diver exhaling through their nose.

Well I can confirm this... I treated 3 new masks (for me, wife and friend) before I went to Indonesia. I flamed them, then used white toothpaste (colgate robbed off an aircraft)

I checked by wearing and nose breathing (no baby shampoo) , and re toothpaste scrubbed if I noted arars of more misting (used an old toothbrush to get right to the edges.

Pre dive wife and friend used undiluted baby shampoo put in at dive centre before brief so maybe 20-30 mins pre rinse. I used the diluted 25:1 on the boat say 15 minutes pre rinse. All masks were rinsed in sea water as we were kitting up and before we rolled

On the first day 2 masks had minor fogging and were re tooth pasted. Mine had a good leak from poorly adjusted strap which then fogged during the dive. Apart from that no-one had any other issues I made 48 dives over 12 days, the others 30-38 dives

I'm unconvinced whether flaming and tooth paste is any better than just tooth paste or just flaming and washing - I do both because I know it works. I don't know if undiluted is better than diluted baby shampoo although my gut feel is that undiluted leaves a better residue do is more resilient to clearing a good amount of water.

I'm a heavy nose breather so would occasionally get a little water in the bottom of the mask and sometimes a slight hint of misting which I'd clear with the water - maybe once a dive.

All were 1hr + dives with air temps around 31C, sea temps 28C and humidity of between 50-80%

Certainly I know from 800+ dives that babyshampo works, as long as the mask lense is dry or almost dry and the most I need to do is give quick tooth paste clean once or twice a year to remove body oils. Our masks are stored in plastic cases between monthly (at most) dive trips

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom