Trip Report: Komodo with LOB Wunderpus and DRP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carono6333

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We were keen to dive Komodo so contacted a friend who is 'in the know' and he recommended Wunderpus. After some really good communication, we decided to book with "DRP Dive Tours", who had chartered the Wunderpus boat. It was an 8day/7night trip and took in north, central and south Komodo dive sites.

We were picked up at the airport by the Wunderpus driver and then taken to the shop (to drop off our gear), and then to our accommodation. The next day we were picked up again to go to the Wunderpus boat. It's a gorgeous boat and very comfortable. It's not the most practical boat i've been on for diving, but with only eight guests there are no problems.

There were quite a few staff on the boat considering only eight guests. All very professional. The local staff don't mingle with the customers much, but are really friendly. The tour leads are very interactive with guests. I was surprised just how much effort went into making everyone happy. For example, i happened to mention that my pillow a bit big, and when i went to my cabin that night i was told that they had removed some of the stuffing to make it smaller. Fresh towels half way through the trip was another nice touch.

During the tour the boat was moved regularly as Chris (tour lead) searched for the best diving and conditions. The diving was even better than i had hoped for. Due to the time of year (March) and also that the boat travelled further than some other companies, we had most dive sites to ourselves. The briefings were probably the best i have encountered, and also the dive leads were very familiar with the sites and kept everyone safe from the crazy currents. We only did two nightdives and it would have been nice to have had another one or two.

Chris (tour lead) really knows how to get the most from the dives. At one site there was another company there. Chris dropped us in at the perfect place to get the most from the site. The other group were pushed away from the best area by the current. He also took care to note what customers were interested to see and made sure everyone saw what they wanted. A good dive guide really makes the difference!

Food was excellent, with the staff catering for the various dietary requirements. It got a little repetitive by the end of the tour, but there were no complaints. The cake and ice cream for desert was pretty damn good.

One things that was a bit special was that DRP Dive Tours had chartered the boat. This meant there were some short presentations and documentaries on marine conservation. This was a really nice touch and they were all kept quite short so were not overbearing. We also stopped for a beach clean, which all staff and customers took part in.

In summary: This LOB was amazing and i would highly recommend. We normally go on boats that are a bit cheaper. However, we don't regret one bit paying for this Wunderpus tour. Highly recommended.

Enjoyed your review. A few follow up questions:

1.) Did it seem 8 customers was pretty typical, or do they usually have a good deal more? I ask because it might stretch service staff a bit more if they usually have a larger load.

2.) How many dives for the week?

3.) Were the tanks the usual '80-cf AL' or were larger tanks available by chance?

4.) About how long did dives tend to run?

5.) You mentioned you using go on cheaper boats; is that because this boat was simply a Komodo boat and you're used to cheaper destinations, or was this boat more expensive than some alternatives in the area?

Richard.

Hi richard... thanks. Here are answers:

1.) Did it seem 8 customers was pretty typical, or do they usually have a good deal more? I ask because it might stretch service staff a bit more if they usually have a larger load. - they take a maximum of eight

2.) How many dives for the week? - 24 over the 8 day/7 night tour. Two of these were night dives

3.) Were the tanks the usual '80-cf AL' or were larger tanks available by chance? - standard tanks. Not sure if you can request large... you'd have to check with the company

4.) About how long did dives tend to run? - 60 mins (air allowing). A few pushed past the 1 hour mark but not by much.

5.) You mentioned you using go on cheaper boats; is that because this boat was simply a Komodo boat and you're used to cheaper destinations, or was this boat more expensive than some alternatives in the area? - there are cheaper boats that go to Komodo. We decided to pay a little more than we would usually do as the company came highly recommended by a dive professional friend, and the tour was longer than other companies seem to offer.

Hope this helps! Cheers

I had a really good trip on the Wunderpus in September 2017, a charter organised specifically as a nudibranch hunting expedition (that's why not so many colourful corals or mantas in my video). We visited Bima bay, Sangeang, and ended in the Komodo NP. Great crew and a very nice boat.

36790250563_c87979b9a1_b.jpg
Nudibranch (Cerberilla sp. 2, NSSI 2015) by Iain Fraser, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom