Investigating the idea of a drysuit ... where to begin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK - so my last two dive excursions have made me start to really think about getting a dry suit. I am in California, and I am mostly diving the Channel Islands out of Ventura and Santa Barbara. I have an eye on moving to the Northwest eventually. So, the thought is relevant to that. Additionally, I would want a suit that would be a good choice for possible expansion beyond just recreational diving ... possibly tech, wreck, and cave.

Is there a good thread that I'm missing that starts with some basics? I don't see any stickies to this particular forum.

I've read a few threads, and there as many votes for a favortie/best drysuit as there are manufacturers, which seems to be a lot! But, as I read ... some of the tech is where I maybe need the help ... crushed neoprene vs. collapsed? The same thing? crushed neoprene vs. other neoprene? Trilam vs. breathable vs. cordura? Cordura is trilam, right? Then it becomes knowing what the specific benefits of each are. Where's my starting point here ... i've not found it.

Next, for those in Socal, would the deals at Scuba Show be the best opportunity for a good deal?

Spend some time working on your decisions. I would not buy a neoprene or crushed neoprene drysuit since they stay wet longer, weigh a ton and for every 100M of distance you swim in one you are going to use considerably more energy than if you were using a trilam drysuit.
As soon as you have decided on a trilam type drysuit - buy your undies.
Thinsulate doesn't survive well if washed often, it quickly loses it's insulating values, which is why many divers don't carry thinsulate undies in the passenger cab of a car or pickup but they do get washed after flies no longer want to land anywhere near them (and then get put in Ebay as "almost new, washed only once according to Ebay regulations").
Weezle Extreme + is, for me, the warmest washable non Thinsulate insulation, and I've been using mine for around 20 years or 2000 dives. If it ever wears out, I'll just have to buy 2 new pairs that should last untill I'm drooling all over myself in an old folks home.
Now buy a cheap used drysuit and dive the hell out of it for a year or so. By then you should be able to know what your 1st new, made to measure drysuit should look like and who is going to make it for you. The old drysuit can continue to do duty as a reserve drysuit for a few more years.

Michael

Now buy a cheap used drysuit and dive the hell out of it for a year or so. By then you should be able to know what your 1st new, made to measure drysuit should look like and who is going to make it for you. The old drysuit can continue to do duty as a reserve drysuit for a few more years.

OP....The above is great advice. I recently stated in another thread something to the effect that one will not really know what they want/need in fit and function until after they purchase and start diving their first drysuit.

Another avenue is to take a drysuit course in a rental suit. Then rent or borrow different suit types, if you can, and dive them a few times each to get a sense for how they fit and function.

The most important aspect of a drysuit other than its ability to keep you dry is how the suit fits. It seems all too common for folks to buy their first suit only to find out that it is either too small or too big and it is not comfortable to dive in or they have trouble maintaining and controlling the air pocket/bubble. There are lots of opinions out there on proper fit, but a properly fitting drysuit is not the suit that feels right in the store, it is the one that feels right when you are diving in it. There are no features that can be added to make up for a poorly fitting suit so spend as much time as possible getting this aspect of your suit correct.

After reading through some posts, asking questions, visiting shops, and trying on different products, ask yourself what you want from a drysuit and write that info down. For instance here is what I wanted from a dry suit:

1. Tri-lam/membrane fabric
2. able to self-don/front zip
3. field replaceable wrist and neck seals
4. a suit that could accommodate changes in my weight/shape so I would not have to buy a new suit if I gained or lost a few lbs/kgs.

I found everything I was looking for and more in the Aqualung Fusion Bullet (aircore). I really like my suit and the design has a good following but there are plenty of folks who prefer other products and there are lots of good choices out there...but whatever you choose it needs to fit well.

Keep reading and asking questions....purchasing a drysuit, at least for me, was a big investment, and the amount of info out here to sift through can be overwhelming but take your time in making your decision and I am sure you will enjoy diving the suit you select.

-Z

Investigating the idea of a drysuit ... where to begin

Start with your bank manager

Your first drysuit will most likely not be your last. The idea tobuy 2nd hand and upgrading once you know better what you want is a good one. Try to buy from a shop, or person that will allow you to dive the suit to determine if there is any leak or problems.

Your bodyshape/weight and thermal requirements will change over time, this will significantly impact fit. I eventually opted for a Fusion (Aqualung) as it will scale as you and your needs change. All things considered this IMO is the best choice.

Reactions: Zef
I would not buy a neoprene or crushed neoprene drysuit since they stay wet longer, weigh a ton and for every 100M of distance you swim in one you are going to use considerably more energy than if you were using a trilam drysuit.

This is simply not true; it is at best a gross exaggeration.

Spend some time working on your decisions. I would not buy a neoprene or crushed neoprene drysuit since they stay wet longer, weigh a ton and for every 100M of distance you swim in one you are going to use considerably more energy than if you were using a trilam drysuit.
As soon as you have decided on a trilam type drysuit - buy your undies.
Thinsulate doesn't survive well if washed often, it quickly loses it's insulating values, which is why many divers don't carry thinsulate undies in the passenger cab of a car or pickup but they do get washed after flies no longer want to land anywhere near them (and then get put in Ebay as "almost new, washed only once according to Ebay regulations").
Weezle Extreme + is, for me, the warmest washable non Thinsulate insulation, and I've been using mine for around 20 years or 2000 dives. If it ever wears out, I'll just have to buy 2 new pairs that should last untill I'm drooling all over myself in an old folks home.

Michael

Can you explain why one would use considerably more energy swimming 100m in a neoprene DS? Apart from material drag, which is somewhat akin to an overweight middle aged cyclist shaving his legs, I can't think of a single reason why! I've owned both varieties in the past and have happily settled on my crushed neoprene OThree. Warm, comfortable and tough.

Reactions: Zef
Can you explain why one would use considerably more energy swimming 100m in a neoprene DS?

You wouldn't.

In my experience, the difference is relatively minimal between a well-fitted neoprene drysuit and a well-fitted trilam drysuit. However, my experience is that neoprene is slightly less drag. Almost all of my diving now is in a cave, where you're sensitive to distance swam and gas used. Having swam literally miles per day (albeit ~2.5ish, still "miles") in both neoprene and trilam suits, I haven't noticed much difference.

This is the first I've heard of someone claiming neoprene to be more drag.

First off unless you find a suit that fits really well off the rack or used you won’t enjoy the suit, second I would take compressed neoprene over trilam any day unless the water were warm. The only thing I don’t love about my Seaskin neoprene suit is the rear zipper, my trilam Seaskin with the replacement TiZip works great and reguirem no help zipping it closed. Neoprene has less drag in the water, it’s warmer and more streamline in use. The cost of a full custom suit from Seaskin is about 1/3 to 1/2 of anything from the big name companies delivered (ask them to ship through the postal service and save on customs and “broker” fees)

Crushed neoprene is not the same as compressed, crushed offers less insulation but is extremely tough, compressed offers more insulation than crushed and better resistance to boyancy shifts over regular neoprene.

I’ve just started using a Weezel extreme with the trilam, only one 1.5 hour dive so far but it took more weight for less warmth than the neoprene suit with my old undies. Most of us up this way consider SoCal to be semitropical and I usually take my NeoTek wetsuit for diving the Channel Islands

Can you explain why one would use considerably more energy swimming 100m in a neoprene DS? Apart from material drag, which is somewhat akin to an overweight middle aged cyclist shaving his legs, I can't think of a single reason why! I've owned both varieties in the past and have happily settled on my crushed neoprene OThree. Warm, comfortable and tough.

Glad you like it.

I've owned and dived almost every type of drysuit ever made, with the exception of the old rubber Poseidon with the zipper through the crotch. Long swims, including swimming to the Hinkel were hard work in a CF200, it was a lot easier in a trilam suit. The CF although almost indestructable, is a very heavy suit and stays wet much longer than a trilam sut that will dry overnight, life was hell when it froze overnight in the back of my stationwagon.
What finally turned me off on compressed neoprene suits was the fact that my air consumption was 15+% higher than when using trilam suits. For me that meant back then that I'd see a few hundred feet more cave before having to turn.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom