Cigars & Liveaboard?

1 cigar ok at the end of a dive day on a liveaboard?

• Yes

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You call it standards, I call it perspective. I am not going to let a bad smell detract from my expensive holiday I worked hard to afford/earn leave to take.
You're absolutely right, we paid for an expensive holiday, I expect to get what I paid for, not compromised by a minority intent on exercising an outlier activity.

But if the rules allow smoking then who are you to deny someone else their expensive vacation which may or may not include a cigar. Do you think you are the only one that matters or your opinions or feelings? If the rules allow smoking then those are the rules. If you don’t like it then you have 3 options,
1) DONT GO!
2) BUY ALL THE VACANCYS.
3) GET OVER YOURSELF AND DONT CRAP OVER EVERYONE ELSES VACATION.

I believe the concern about smokers on the bow is that the wind may blow smoke down the length of the boat. I would like to believe that considerate smokers would be mindful of the wind direction. I suspect the crew often is.
They are in open air... It's not like you will die from that bit of cigar smoke... Living in the city is lots worse... But some people just can stand other people and their habits. If they are so against smokers, they should go and stand somewhere else... Live and let live! And enjoy the diving instead of being selfish...

They are in open air... It's not like you will die from that bit of cigar smoke... Living in the city is lots worse... But some people just can stand other people and their habits. If they are so against smokers, they should go and stand somewhere else... Live and let live! And enjoy the diving instead of being selfish...

I don’t think it’s so much about the health concern from secondhand smoke as it is the odor that many people find objectionable. A boat is a relatively cramped place. It’s NOT “open air” when you or your cabin’s porthole are downwind of a smoker. “Living in the city,” I’m not subjected to odors that I can’t walk away from. Liveaboards need to accommodate the needs of as many of their guests as possible. And judging from the few liveaboards I have experienced, they do!

As long as you are doing it in a smoking area (outdoors, usually around the back ) it shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, why don't you post how you really feel? Are you a smoker or a nonsmoker? Do you want to smoke a cigar or not? I only have about 30 years on you and have no interest in being exposed to cigar smoke. It is what it is, perhaps you could appreciate my point of view, dick.
I am sorry, but you are not the only one on the boat. If smoking is allowed, you have no say. Smokers will stick to the areas given to them. So don't be so selfish... It doesn't matter how old you are.

I answered no, but more along the lines that I am against any kind of smoking on a boat. I know I am being way too cautious, but I never allow any smoking/fireworks/etc anywhere near any of my boats due to fire hazard.

Yes I know diesel is not as flammable as gas, but just one of the things my parents brought me up with.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I had to read every post in this thread at least once. It felt like I was in the Pub, an area I usually avoid! I deleted about seven pages of posts. I apologize if I was too heavy handed. If you feel that a post should be restored, report this post and point out why we should restore it.

This thread is about your opinion about smoking a cigar on a Live Aboard. If you want to discuss smoking in general then please create a thread in the Pub.

Thank you for your patience and tolerance!

This has been an interesting thread, from several perspectives.
scuba lawyer:
One time crossing the equator in the Galapagos it was 2 a.m. and a few of us got towed in the tender behind the mother ship with cigars and brandy at the ready while singing songs to King Neptune and watching the universe unfold above us.."
I have to admit, THAT experience is one that I would love to have! It sounds fantastic.
tursiops:
The problem with cigar smoking is the smell of the smoke and the lingering stench in the area where it was smoked and on the smoker afterwards. Cigarette smoking is considerably less of a problem.
scubadada:
Though I would prefer no cigarette smoking, I fully realize that the practice is still very common, probably more so outside the US, and that a specific smoking area largely mitigates the intrusion for nonsmokers. Cigars are a whole different story, I would hope there was not cigar smoking on any liveaboard I was on.
From the general discussion, I would say that opinions diverge rather sharply on this issue. Personally, I find the stench of cigarettes to be FAR more lingering, and offensive than the smell of a cigar. Yes, I realize the question that started the thread was about cigars, on live-aboards. But, multiple posts have addressed the broader question, and that has widened the interest, and application of the thread.

I don't have any NEED to smoke a cigar to enjoy a dive experience, or any other kind of experience for that matter. If given the opportunity, I WILL smoke a (good) cigar - usually accompanied by an adult beverage appropriate both for the occasion and the cigar. And, I find that I have an occasion to do so maybe 4 times a year at most, sometimes, none. It has been my experience that the majority of cigar smokers fall into the same category - they don't need to smoke - whereas cigarette smokers more commonly manifest an addictive behavior.

Ultimately, all of us should determine, in advance, what the rules and conditions are for any planned vacation experience, and not presume. If I spent a lot of money to go on a vacation, and found myself in an environment where cigarette smoking was allowed, and pervasive, I would be upset - with MYSELF, for not asking about that possibility, in advance. I would not make life miserable for the cigarette smokers who were doing what the rules and conditions clearly allowed, or label them as 'selfish' or 'rude'. Quite possibly, they chose that particular vacation opportunity specifically because the rules and conditions would allow them to enjoy their cigarettes.

Operators should decide what market segment they wish to appeal to, and set the rules and conditions to appeal to that market segment, and make that decision public. If an operator wishes to appeal to a market segment that includes cigarette smokers, for example, that is their choice. I will patronize another operator that chooses not to. But, I will hold no ill feelings toward the operator who chooses to market to cigarette smokers. What WOULD engender ill will would be for the operator to be ambiguous about whether smoking was permitted, or to absurdly suggest that designated smoking areas somehow would completely segregate smoke - cigars or cigarettes, it wouldn't matter. It is not possible to segregate smoke, or at least it is not financially practical.

Seriously? This isn't a difficult problem.

I don't smoke but as long as the smoker is not blowing on my face I'm ok.
If some ashes (not burning ashes... dead ashes) happen to land on my gear,. I'll deal with it the same as if a seagull craps on it ..which has happened.
If one hates smoke/ashes/smokers as much as indicated in this thread, seems to me they should investigate before booking a spot Ina liveaboard.
I swear if I was in boat that allows smoking and some diver starts having a fit about smoke, I'm liable to burn a few cigarettes, cigars or whatever is available too just because.
Liveaboard boats tend to have international customers... The whole world does not feey the same about smoking.
In the the US some people think Earth is flat, in the Philippines some people think is ok to smoke. Different people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom