Ocean Reef Neptune recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ocean Reef Recalls Neptune Space Integrated Diving Masks Due to Injury Hazard

Recall Details
Description:
This recall involves Ocean Reef’s Neptune Space Integrated Diving Masks. The full face scuba masks come in a variety of colors and sizes. The masks have a bellows style face seal, molded from silicone rubber, uses a "spring profile" and sealing surface. The masks serial numbers are engraved on the mask housing. Consumers can look up their Ocean Reef mask’s serial number to see if it is affected by this recall at Ocean Reef Group

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled diving masks and contact Ocean Reef for instructions on the return of their mask for a free replacement, or refund.

Incidents/Injuries:
None reported

Sold At:
Diving stores nationwide and online at www.oceanreefgroup.mybigcommerce.com from March 2018 through November 2018 for between $700 and $1,600.

Manufacturer(s):
Ocean Reef Inc., of San Marcos, Calif.

Manufactured In:
U.S.
Recall number:
19-095

I will definitely check serial numbers on my two when I get home this evening. I have a feeling they aren't part of it as they as G. Divers and not the Neptune Space models, but I'll check just to be certain. Thanks for posting that up!

Update: After looking on the OR website at the recall info, it seems that only units sold between March 21, 2018 and October 8, 2018 are possibly affected. Mine was purchased in April 2016 and my wife's in May 2017 so I think we're fine. Still, I will check serial numbers for that additional measure of safety. And also, the G. Diver series are listed on the recall list.

https://oceanreefgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Recall-Letter.pdf

Thanks for the heads up @cwithe! I just checked mine and they're not included. Kind of disappointed there since I decided to shelve the masks and they're offering a full refund..

@Sh0rtBus you and I must have bought our masks at about the same time!

The recall is specific down to the serial number. There's only about 1000 units included. They must have switched parts out in the second stage from the sound of it. "Ocean reef and the terrible horrible no good very bad day."

Another thought. 0 reported incidents and they issued a recall that includes either replacement or full refund at the owners choice? It sucks that there was a problem, but there really isn't any better way to deal with it from a customer's perspective. I don't think I've ever heard of a manufacturer offering a refund for a recall before.. usually they want to fix it and send you on your way... I just took my honda minivan in for the third or fourth recall since I bought it.

Thanks for the heads up @cwithe! I just checked mine and they're not included. Kind of disappointed there since I decided to shelve the masks and they're offering a full refund..

@Sh0rtBus you and I must have bought our masks at about the same time!

The recall is specific down to the serial number. There's only about 1000 units included. They must have switched parts out in the second stage from the sound of it. "Ocean reef and the terrible horrible no good very bad day."

Another thought. 0 reported incidents and they issued a recall that includes either replacement or full refund at the owners choice? It sucks that there was a problem, but there really isn't any better way to deal with it from a customer's perspective. I don't think I've ever heard of a manufacturer offering a refund for a recall before.. usually they want to fix it and send you on your way... I just took my honda minivan in for the third or fourth recall since I bought it.
In reading the press release and the actual recall notice, it looks like one of the machines utilized in the manufacturing process managed to work itself out of calibration. It does speak volumes about the company being willing to offer a replacement or full refund on their own accord.

I would think they would have to offer that...only one incident could cost them millions in lawsuit costs. It makes sense to offer it with about a thousand units out there. I have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom