Cigars & Liveaboard?

1 cigar ok at the end of a dive day on a liveaboard?

• Yes

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smoking down wind may be sufficient while smoking but what most smokers don't realize is the stench stays with them. I am not one to demand no one smoke on a boat that allows it but now that someone has brought the subject up I will be sure to ask before booking a live aboard.

If the liveboard allows you to smoke, what's typically the take on smoking a cigar at the end of the day? Maybe once or twice during the liveaboard?

JD...

I can already hear the criticism...coming from this response...but no...hell no...among other things...diving is a health sport...and the verdict bell on tobacco products rang a long time ago...

As far as LAB's are concerned...if the operator allows smoking of any kind...old school or electronic...I'd be looking for another operator...

If you had a cancer survivor in you family...which I do...you'd have stopped that terrible habit a long time ago...or never started to begin with...I like having my wife around...every day is a blessing...and every day above ground is a good day...I don't know what's waiting for us when we leave this place...but I like it here...and am in no hurry to see the other side of the mountain...

Just me...proceed as you see fit...bundle up that coffin...cause it's cold way down there...

W...

I don't smoke. If it's allowed and you can do so without inconveniencing others, then do what makes you happy. That's why we're all here. :) As far as the smell, again do your best to keep it away from others, but after a few days on a liveaboard I've encountered and ignored far worse "smells." Just be kind and considerate of the other divers and we'll do the same. All IMHO, YMMV.

How much extra do you normally pay to get a smoke free cruise?

For that matter why should we allow meat/seafood on board?

Should we ban bacon onboard if I want to keep kosher during my trip?

Beer/liquor isn't conductive to safe diving why do we allow divers to be unsafe and drink the night before diving? Being dehydrated or hung over can lead to DCS.

What about the diver who pees in their wetsuit? After a week in the tropical sun that is an odor that will clear a room.

Let's just let everyone enjoy their trip eat a bacon wrapped steak have a beer live and let live. If my shirt had too much of an odor from my cigar let me know so I can let it air out on the rail.

Beer/liquor isn't conductive to safe diving why do we allow divers to be unsafe and drink the night before diving? Being dehydrated or hung over can lead to DCS.

What about the diver who pees in their wetsuit? After a week in the tropical sun that is an odor that will clear a room.

Let's just let everyone enjoy their trip eat a bacon wrapped steak have a beer live and let live. If my shirt had too much of an odor from my cigar let me know so I can let it air out on the rail.
Sorry, you eat what you want, you drink what you want, you can't get away from the selfish diver smoking a cigar.

Bud,

That was a Hall of Fame response.

We all have our abrasive habits. Lets make a pledge to be considerate and to minimize our trespasses on others.

The swim step is downwind dude, torch off! I'll be on deck right above you with my rum.

All things in moderation.
m

Sorry, you eat what you want, you drink what you want, you can't get away from the selfish diver smoking a cigar.
Have you ever noticed that it seems to be only cigar smokers who think they don't stink? Kind of like dogs and poop, I guess.

Who cares, they stink, the rest of us have no interest in being subjected to them

Which is why I own my own dive boat and am highly selective on who I permit on board. :)

I agree that in this day and age, unless you have the consent of everyone around you (whether on a liveaboard or anywhere else), it is rude and inconsiderate to light up anything where it would affect another person. On the other hand, I was sitting on a miles long deserted beach one time enjoying a cigar with literally no one around for miles. A young couple arrived at the beach and set up their chairs and blanket about 20 feet from me and asked if I would put out my cigar as it bothered them. I impolitely declined and suggested they find another beach. I won't impose my will on others and I wont have others impose their will on me. My 2psi.

Back
Top Bottom