Aches and pains...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All what they said.
Also consider that the pool is not deep at all and is a such a restricted environment, plus you are close to other students and you are trying to avoid to "surface"... Long story short, your body and muscle are tense, hence the pain.

If your mask is constantly flooding, you should look into getting a new mask, because that typically means the fit isn't good for you.

Dude, I just shave my eyebrows

Or less drastic than happy diver, try playing with your mask strap. It may not be in the right position on the back of your head.

Or less drastic than happy diver, try playing with your mask strap. It may not be in the right position on the back of your head.

Or the strap can be too tight over-compressing the skirt of the mask against the face causing it not to seal properly.

The strap should only be tight enough to keep the mask from moving around/dislodging...increasing its tightness often does not make the mask seal any better.

-Z

Hey yeah, I almost forgot about the thread again
so when I get back from a couple of days diving
I sit in a comfy chair unable to move, hoping my
gear gets washed through osmosis, and try and
attract the attention of anyone passing to see if
they can go to the toilet for me, instead of me!

in between falling asleep

Hey yeah, I almost forgot about the thread again
so when I get back from a couple of days diving
I sit in a comfy chair unable to move, hoping my
gear gets washed through osmosis, and try and
attract the attention of anyone passing to see if
they can go to the toilet for me, instead of me!

in between falling asleep

Put down the beer and step away from the keyboard!

-Z

Good thing about pool--chance of DCS is way small. Bad thing about pool--you have to work much harder at getting and staying neutral, so you don't keep popping up to the surface. All this can use "new" muscles.
That neck thing is real. Get on a skinny-tire bike, where you have to make that same neck-bend to see ahead, it'll build that up. You'll benefit aerobically as well.
Also, I tend to bite down on my reg. Jaw soreness next day is typical.

There's "bad" sore (OWWW!! I'm really out of shape!)--and "good" sore, a little bit all over, the sign of a decent workout..

Gear is heavy; lifting it to put it on can hurt you before you even get wet. Also, did you set up and break down your gear a couple times? That's a standard part of OW, and all that twisting of valves and connecting/disconnecting of hoses can result in some finger/wrist/arm pain. In addition to developing those muscles, you'll develop the muscle memory to know exactly how much force you need and just how to apply it. I'm an infrequent guitar player; I go months without fingering the strings on the fretboard, long enough to lose my calluses, but my fingers still don't hurt as much as when I started because now I know exactly how hard I need to press.

You are just getting old.

The mask problem is most likely how you are wearing it. Test the fit by putting it on your face andinhaling slightly and holding your breath. It should stay on your face with no effort. Straps too tight is more likely than them being too lose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom