Looks Like Komodo is Closing...but Not Really...but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It does appear authorities will be closing Komodo ISLAND to tourism for a year or so, but the rest of the park will remain operational and "The supervision and control of tourist activities, including Komodo-watching, snorkeling and diving, will also be improved."

I dont know what to make of all this, but I do agree that something needs to be done to keep things in check. Much has changed in the last ten years, and some dive sites in the park are beginning to resemble the chaos of Crystal Bay. No doubt the supervision and control will come with a price...and maybe that is a good thing....maybe... I dont know.

Stay tuned.

Government to go ahead with Komodo National Park closure in 2020

Interesting. Perhaps we need to wait until after the mid April elections are settled though and see who got in in West Nusa Tenggara.

I thought the main Komodo park with tourists are on Rinca island anyway ?

The rumours are not true. Komodo island, Padar and Komodo National Park is an will be open.

It is horrible news, that people have been stealling dragons...! And this needs to stop.
But these rumours are not true. It is so bad for the livelihood of the people of Komodo island, Labuan Bajo and Flores!

The Director General of Nature Conservation and Ecosystems, Mr Wiratno, at the Ministry of Conservation and Forestry announced in an official statement that the rumors of closing Komodo island or Komodo National Park is not true.

Please come and visit the national park a Unesco World Herritage Site. It is geourgeous with it's extremely healthy corals, abbundance of fish, wild boar, Flores deer, turtles, manta rays and Komodo Dragons.
Please come and visit. Make many pictures and share #Komodoisopen

Want to learn the facts? More information can be found here, including the statement o the Governor General
Is Komodo open - Komodo is Open! - Learn the facts - Wicked Diving

Thanks for the update, AsiaBased. I had read this week in the Jakarta Post that Komodo Island was to close for one year so work could be carried out to improve the habitat for the dragons. It was just Komodo Island though and not the dive sites or Rinca. It is a fantastic place, the marine area, Rinca and Flores and I am happy to be coming back later this month for another holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom