I have become that which I loathed, a....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my certification 10 years ago.Up to a few years ago, I dove locally and enjoyed it. A few years ago, I moved inland and went for a dive and only saw muck. That is the day I became that which I loathed. a destination Diver.

I have dove the Cenotes, Cuba's Bay of Pigs and now the Dominican Republic's Sousa. I like the warm water. I like the life I see. I like the visibility.
I may try some other lakes here, but I think I am turning into that which I never thought I would become.

Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but I have trouble understanding why you would loathe destination diving. After all, destination diving is arguably where the best diving is found, and I think most of us wish we had unlimited funds and time to dive the great underwater destinations in the world. I live on a lake, dive it occasionally, but the worst destination dive I have ever done is light years better than my mostly limited visibility lake.

You are not that far from Tobermory by the ferry where there is great dives and decent visibility. While a bit further the St. Lawrence has a lot of variety of dives. During the summer the St. Lawrence will warm up to around 75F so is that warm enough?

Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but I have trouble understanding why you would loathe destination diving. After all, destination diving is arguably where the best diving is found, and I think most of us wish we had unlimited funds and time to dive the great underwater destinations in the world. I live on a lake, dive it occasionally, but the worst destination dive I have ever done is light years better than my mostly limited visibility lake.

When I was diving at least 1 weekend a month, I thought those who only destination dive were not really good divers. Now, I have become that which I thought I would never be. No sarcasm intended.

You are not that far from Tobermory by the ferry where there is great dives and decent visibility. While a bit further the St. Lawrence has a lot of variety of dives. During the summer the St. Lawrence will warm up to around 75F so is that warm enough?

When at depth it was 80F, 75F is just not that warm.

I live in Sudbury. I own a drysuit, as I used to live in Halifax and Victoria.

I know there is good diving to be had in the Great Lakes. I just wish there was good local diving. There is a local Scuba club. I may join them and see if any of the locations are worth it.

MY good local diving is Lake Michigan. I'm an hour from the boat in Indiana (just over the border from Chicago), 1.5 hours from Milwaukee. Within a days drive, I can hit Huron and Superior, too.

I’m too old to be cold.

WWPF Warm water pretty fish

I’m good. Welcome aboard.

I got my certification 10 years ago.Up to a few years ago, I dove locally and enjoyed it. A few years ago, I moved inland and went for a dive and only saw muck. That is the day I became that which I loathed. a destination Diver.

I have dove the Cenotes, Cuba's Bay of Pigs and now the Dominican Republic's Sousa. I like the warm water. I like the life I see. I like the visibility.
I may try some other lakes here, but I think I am turning into that which I never thought I would become.
The solution is simple: move to the Cenotes so it’s your local !

The solution is simple: move to the Cenotes so it’s your local !

Yeah, make Princesses Gardens your local dive, move to Guantanamo Bay.

I could never be a cold water diver. Thanks but no thanks. If I ever return to the UK I'll be solely a destination diver. At least I'm luck, my "back yard" diving is light years beyond anything the coastal US has to offer - Maybe excluding Fl but from the videos and picture I've seen, not) and certainly better than inland US including the great lakes.

Even so it's not a patch on Indo which is my prefered location and where my excess money gets spent :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom