Should I get the discontinued Oceanic Geo 2.0 or go for something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat6699

Registered
Reaction score
I placed an order on Leisurepro for an Oceanic Geo 2.0 recently. The one in white was on backorder but I didn't mind waiting, but while I was waiting patiently for it to be restocked I received an email from customer service saying that "We are sorry to inform you that this item became discontinued from the manufacturer after your order was placed. Having said that, we can no longer fulfill your order completely."

The white is sold out on Leisurepro but titanium grey is still available. I've read many positive reviews about this computer and I find the design quite appealing too. Should I get it in the other color despite it being discontinued from the manufacturer? If not, what other models do you guys recommend? (I'm a recreational diver)

Looks like it has been replaced by the Geo 4.0. A quick check of the specs shows the addition of Bluetooth connectivity as the major upgrade. If that is worth the extra cost then go for the Geo 4.0. If you don’t mind the cable, save the cash and get the 2.0 in grey.

The Geo 2.0 seems like a nice computer. Two gasses is really nice: this computer will be able to be your primary computer for a very long time, and even function as a fully capable backup computer down the road even if you went full tech. (I have an Oceanic Veo 180NX that I use as my backup, but I can't switch gasses on it. The 2.0 is better.)

Yes, I own a Shearwater. Yes, I love it. If you were interested in spending $600 or more, I'd say buy one instead. But at $350, there's plenty of reason to save your money and buy an entry level computer -- and this one is nicer than most in that range.

Now, as for whether you want Bluetooth or not. First of all, it's really nice to download the dive profiles. You can see where you're surfacing too fast, how the temperature changes over a dive (like with thermoclines), what your NDL was at particular times of the dive, etc. It really helps you to understand your dives better. I can't imagine *not* downloading. And given that, if the cable costs more than the upgrade to Geo 4.0, then get the newer one.

Even if the 4.0 costs a *little* more: Bluetooth is simply more convenient. These computers only hold a few dives (the website says 24 for the 2.0). First of all, I've done more than 24 dives before I could download the computer (liveaboards or 2-week dive vacations). You'll lose dives before you can get home, unless you drag around a full computer. With Bluetooth, though, you can download your dives right to your phone. And if you're a social media type, there's lots of software that will let you download your computer right after your dive and put them right online.

In other words, even if everything is identical between the 2.0 and the 4.0 (warranty, features, etc.), if the difference between the 2.0 + cable and 4.0 is even close, go with the 4.0, unless you ABSOLUTELY KNOW you will never download a dive. And even if you don't *think* you will, unless you're like 80 and don't own a smartphone and never do anything online, I would caution you to think about getting the Bluetooth now.

Unless you *want* to leave the door to upgrade your computer in like 6 months when you're tired of cables and losing dives -- and *then* you can get the Shearwater! :)

I bought the Geo 2.0 for Leisure Pro almost three years ago and am very happy with it. It does everything I need it to as a rec diver. It would be nice if it had the option for AI though. That said I would not buy it for the price LP is selling it for now. I paid $279 3 years ago and at the time the Geo 2.0 had been on the market for a few years. I would either look for a used one for under $200 or look at the 4.0.

Even if the 4.0 costs a *little* more: Bluetooth is simply more convenient. These computers only hold a few dives (the website says 24 for the 2.0). First of all, I've done more than 24 dives before I could download the computer (liveaboards or 2-week dive vacations). You'll lose dives before you can get home, unless you drag around a full computer. With Bluetooth, though, you can download your dives right to your phone. And if you're a social media type, there's lots of software that will let you download your computer right after your dive and put them right online.

The advertised small dive log was a concern of mine too. I had a discussion with some Geo 2.0 owners in another thread and learned that even though the interface only allows viewing of the latest 24 dives, the saved dive log can be much bigger, depending on the user set dive log save sampling rate. At 2 sec, only 24 dives. At 15 ot 30 sec, many more are available to save after a long trip.

My Cressi Giotto has a fixed sampling rate of 20 sec and it saves "75 dives or 60 hours", which seems to imply that number of dives isn't the determining factor, but how much is saved. The Giotto interface allows viewing more than the latest 24, so it's better than the Geo 2.0 in that regard.

A question I'm curious about is the Bluetooth drain. Would this mean more significant battery drain than before? Does the Bluetooth auto turn off? Or is the user expected to turn it on/off when necessary, to conserve battery?

Assuming this is the wrist computer? I had a wrist Geo or a Geo 2 before I had a shearwater, and I think it’s a great little computer for recreational diving. I’ve recommended it as a great budget option that does everything one needs for rec diving.

Check this out - Oceanic geo 2.0 | eBay

This ad even includes that cable. That normally costs over $75.

I have bought several used Geo 2.0 from ebay and have never been disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom