http://www.diveheart.org/

Two Years Ago Today An Amazing Woman Triumphed Over Death - Kimber aka TekDiveGirl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do believe her accident was on the trip to fasten the plack for Steve on the Yukon , but before they got to it and while on the Hogan
I believe you are right. Possibly first anniversary?

Reactions: D_B
A very inspirational woman, I am so sorry to hear of her passing.
Peace to all who knew her.

God's Strength and Comfort to all Kimber's family, friends, and admirers. She never stopped.

Reactions: D_B
Imagine waking up fighting, every single day, all day long, and do it for 13 years
.. only a superwoman would be capable of such a feat

I thought she was invincible :'(

Kimbers accident, 13 years ago today, in her own words
This was a post from scubaboard She would share this every year on her FB page , I think as way to show her thanks and how far she had come but was also very conscious of those that were responsible for giving her that chance ...

Kimber Hawkins Thurman is feeling thankful with Marla Margaret Jones and 11 others.

Twelve (13 now) years ago, today, an event occurred that dramatically changed not only my life but the lives of my children. I suffered from an arterial gas embolism while SCUBA DIVING here in San Diego on the wreck of the Hogan. I surely would have died if it had not been for the quick and flawless execution of emergency management and evacuation by Captian Carl, Joel, Anita, Eric and Chad, I truly believe that I would not be here posting this today. I thank you all as well as of my dive team Tyler, Eric, Dale, and Paul.

However, as I laid comatose in the hospital bed, nobody knew if I was going to wake up and if I did come out of it the doctors were uncertain of exactly what would my life be like?

The diving community was amazing. People came together to raise money to help pay my bills (this was long before GoFundMe) and at Christmas sent gifts to my children and me two years in a row. There were so many people that participated in this. I thank you all.
Don who was originally recruited by the members of Scuba Board to do a recon mission to go to the hospital and gather information about my condition and report back has become such a wonderful source of support. I thank you. � My friends Sue who visited me almost every day while I was at Scripps inpatient rehab and TJ, the fearless "Great White Mola Shark" diver , who put her own life aside for a while to stay at my house and help me after I was released from inpatient rehab - I think you both.

To Logan and Kylia - you both were so young at the time and had to grow up far earlier than you should have. For this, I am truly sorry. �

Despite the severity of my accident, I was in better shape than anybody had ever expected and in 2011 I began attending the Acquired Brain Injury Program at Mesa College. Being around other brain injury survivors was incredibly therapeutic and healing. The information that I learned in the classes, as well as the guidance and support that I received from Marla Margaret, Heike, JoAnn, Debby, Mia, and Lori, was instrumental in my progression to where I am today. I thank you all. �

I have had so many ups and downs, and, in many ways, I feel as if I have been on a roller coaster ride for the past twelve years. I have had triumphs and tragedies. I have had to reinvent myself – alter my plans – find new passions -- change my goals. As I begin the twelfth year of my recovery, I can see many great things on the horizon and a bright future ahead. Will there be challenges? Of course, there will be. Will I meet those challenges head on? ABSOLUTELY!! To everybody mentioned above – thank you, I could not have the successes that I have had without you! And thank you to all of my friends for your support as well and coming on this journey with me

Back
Top Bottom