• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it fits loose mainly to easily get the loop over my hand. The bungee is a nice idea. I think I'll do that ... more fashionable. I just need to think of a nice way to fasten it tight ... my knots kept undoing :p

I don't seem to have an 'extender'. I do have some long straps that came with the watch. I have a small collection now.

Here's a pic of what I meant by the 3rd buckle [hole] (red arrow) and my collection :)

All 5 of the straps on the right side of your picture are extenders.

If a light didn’t just come on making it obvious how to use one of them, let me know and I’ll post a picture. :D

Reactions: Jay
Doh!!
[Homer Simpson]

Teric of course.

I'm very new to diving, but knew I wanted to put some time into a computer when I started. The idea of having all the data from day one was super exciting for me. A friend posted that she got a Perdix AI, told me about the company, and sent me some YouTube videos. I saved up and made that my first purchase after my Snorkel system. I'm very happy I did. I have a Sherwood Amphos now a a backup and it's frustratingly hard to use and see under water. With the Perdix I can easily get to any screen I need under or above water, and upload the data to my phone right at the site.

I did have an issue when it came in the mail, and that was a finger print under the screen protector that came on it. I emailed Shearwater and within 24hrs they connected me to their US based retailer, and 48 hours later I had three new protectors, a spare set of o-rings, and a backup battery door fob in my hands, all free of charge. Really can't beat that!

There's not a lot of functional difference between the two. Both will provide identical recommendations. I have an Oceanic watch style computer I use as a backup, so the form factor of the Teric is not an issue with me. The primary reason I went with Shearwater was its tissue loading graphic which I believe is easier to see on the Perdix. I also prefer the Perdix's easily obtainable and replaceable AA batteries.

I just got a Teric.
Me: Complete OC REC only - way too distracted with my camera to want to task load with more technical diving.
My previous 2 AI dive computers [UEMIS SDA & Liquivision Lynx] have been more "box" computer style due to wanting large display (eye/vision issues).
When I read that folks were finding the Teric actually easier to view than the Perdix, and the Teric is a smaller unit, I decided to try it.
Initial impressions:
SO easy to read on land!
Overall display almost the same size as the physically larger Lynx.

As I stated before, I have the two Perdix AI. My only hesitation about the Teric is the battery. It is so easy to change the battery on the Perdix. I don't know how soon/frequent the Teric battery needs replacement, and how to get it replaced (not enough data available). A concern, but not hesitation, is breaking a strap or pin on the Teric. I've read several techniques on retention and have decided that I can, with additional effort/cost, keep from watching a Teric sink away to the ocean depths :(

Cheers -

As I stated before, I have the two Perdix AI. My only hesitation about the Teric is the battery. It is so easy to change the battery on the Perdix. I don't know how soon/frequent the Teric battery needs replacement, and how to get it replaced (not enough data available). A concern, but not hesitation, is breaking a strap or pin on the Teric. I've read several techniques on retention and have decided that I can, with additional effort/cost, keep from watching a Teric sink away to the ocean depths :(

Cheers -

I think the factory says that the Teric battery should be good for at least 5 years before you would need to send it in to have the battery replaced.

Coincidentally, 5 years is the same amount of time that they recommend for you to send in your Perdix to have it serviced, as well. I sent in my 2 Predators last Fall to be serviced. The service was excellent and quick. They replaced the lid/screen/cover (not sure of the correct term - the clear Lexan piece that you look through to read the display), the O-rings, and not sure what else.

Of course, a Perdix may really not need to have that done after only 5 years. But, maybe you could say the same thing for a Teric... Time will tell (ha ha).

The need to spend extra money to ensure that a Teric can't have a strap pin break or come loose and fall off is a bit annoying. Maybe Shearwater will redesign the case just slightly so that you can remove the strap and pins and the pin holes that are left are big enough to thread decent-sized bungee or surgical tubing through, and then you could "foolproof" a Teric with essentially no extra expense.

In the meantime, i ordered the Narked@90 Bungee mount for the Teric and I'm optimistic that it will do everything I want. Should find out next week.

Teric Bungee Mount

I will at some point be replacing my regular Perdix with either a Perix AI or a Teric. I do have the concerns about having to charge nightly. But I haven't used it. The people using the Teric seem to really love it, so I'm hoping to see one in action and see how it is. At this point, I'm leaning towards a Perdix AI, but as I said, I haven't tried the Teric yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom