Sudan Day Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at two liveaboard trips next year to the deep south of Sudan. Unfortunately I cannot get back-to-back trips and it looks like I will have to spend 4 days in Port Sudan in between the trips.

So I was thinking about doing some day diving and so far I have found one shop that seems to be alright if you believe the reviews on TripAdvisor...

The shop is called Red Sea Secret Diving Center and I wanted to see is anybody has had any experience with them, can anybody suggest an alternative operator and what should I be concerned about staying in Port Sudan?

Thanks, Don

I haven't dove with them (yet), but I have had extensive discussions with them (I live in Khartoum, and they just moved their office back up to Port Sudan.
My impression: good group. Have had good remarks from colleagues at work who have used them as well.

I haven't dove with them (yet), but I have had extensive discussions with them (I live in Khartoum, and they just moved their office back up to Port Sudan.
My impression: good group. Have had good remarks from colleagues at work who have used them as well.

Thanks Rich, greatly appreciate the comments!

Any thoughts you can share about spending four days in Port Sudan please? You hear so much bad stuff about Sudan, mainly because of the overall situation in South Sudan (I think...). I lived in the Middle East for 14 years, so I do understand that the reality is often quite different from the reality - would really appreciate your insight!

Don

I would imagine that the diving around Port Sudan would be as good as the Saudi side of the Red Sea.

I am curious to know how the local dive center is, and if it would be worth a few days diving.

I really like Sudan. If you've lived in this area of the world before, you have an idea. It's a country going through some turmoils right now-not as bad as what happened in the south or Dafur, but be sure you check Al Jazeera and the Sudan Trubune for the latest news. Safe for expats, but there is an active opposition working towards transition.

In reality, the inflation is pretty high, but still cost of living is much lower than elsewhere in Middle East or the rest of the world.

Some pics and feedback on Port Sudan diving would be nice if you can manage it the next time you go there.

I am looking at two liveaboard trips next year to the deep south of Sudan. Unfortunately I cannot get back-to-back trips and it looks like I will have to spend 4 days in Port Sudan in between the trips.

So I was thinking about doing some day diving and so far I have found one shop that seems to be alright if you believe the reviews on TripAdvisor...

The shop is called Red Sea Secret Diving Center and I wanted to see is anybody has had any experience with them, can anybody suggest an alternative operator and what should I be concerned about staying in Port Sudan?

Thanks, Don

Don, go with a 14-day cruise and not 2x7 days. Weather (wind) is a big factor in the Red Sea and does impact choice of route — so if you want to make sure to get all the the way down to Dahrat Abid (and perhaps Saunders reef) you should have two weeks without returning to Port Sudan. With perfect weather one week works, but is somewhat stressful.
I gave this exact advice to a couple of guys a few years ago but they persisted and went on a one week ”deep south” Sudan safari. Needless to say they never reached the deep south due to weather that didn’t cooperate. So in order to make sure to avoid disappointments, you need 14 days (12 in practice).
Have never day dived with day boats from Port Sudan, but Umbria is right outside the port and with a reasonably fast boat, the Sanganeb atoll easily within reach for day tripping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom