DSS Small Size plate or similar (for kid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NESS:

upload_2019-2-26_19-9-59.png

upload_2019-2-26_19-10-21.png

upload_2019-2-26_19-10-46.png

Sorry if I was unclear - it's the Oxy small size stainless steel backplates plates that John @ NESS does not currently have (nor did anyone else in my quick look around). He does have the ULTPs. He enthusiastically endorsed them for divers in his cert classes of all sizes, and I bought one from him today. Looking forward to checking one of these things out, as I've never seen it in person.

Being the fool that I am, I also have a Halcyon plate on the way. I'm guessing, based on what John and others have said, that the ULTP will work best for my son, but we'll see. Will update the thread in a couple of days with findings.

OK, the Halcyon plate is far from ideal. It needs an STA, which just feels silly, and is also adding more weight than I need on a rig for a kid. Could I make it work? Probably. But it's starting to feel like silly money for something that isn't really what I wanted.

I may go with the ULTP, though it still seems a bit long for him. Also, at the moment I can't get a 18# VDH wing - how much bigger is the 23# wing? Should I go with that or an 18# Oxy wing?

Is there *any* other option for a small backplate? DSS is gone. Oxycheq is out of stick everywhere. Is Halcyon really the only act in town? I'd love another option for something that had cam strap slots that I could use with the VDH or Oxycheq small wings.

Thanks again for the ongoing help.

DIRZONE in Europe markets a kid friendly package with 3mm steel plate harness and wing for youth called the KIDDO. I’m sure you could find a reputable dealer to ship stateside. They also have plenty of options for small profile wings.

Start with the VDH Vintage Plate. It will work with single hose. It is also economical.

Go with the 23# wing from VDH. The gusset will keep it in a nice profile. Oxy is too much $$$$

YMMV

Start with the VDH Vintage Plate. It will work with single hose. It is also economical.

Go with the 23# wing from VDH. The gusset will keep it in a nice profile. Oxy is too much $$$$

YMMV
Have you used the VDH vintage plate for regular hose single tank diving?
I was interested in getting that plate but was a little worried it would not work or maybe the plate would be to low on my back.

@Kasey Kohler - Keep in mind, it is only low if you set the shoulder straps to wear it there....

I also thought that since it is shorter, it would work well with Youth bodies when worn higher..

I can't comment on the different plate choices since I last purchased a plate 16 years ago when only Halcyon and Oxycheq were widely available . But my son was certified at age 10. I'd guess he was 58" tall then. Maybe a little shorter. The Halcyon short plate worked perfectly for him. When he grew taller than his 63" mother, they switched plates. She's happier with the shorter plate. Anyway, the system worked perfectly for my son. It was the only setup that really fit him. (He was certified in the smallest jacket bc made and it was huge on him.) Incidentally, he's always used a 30 lb Eclipse wing and it's been fine, so I wouldn't worry as much about finding a smaller wing so long as the plate fits.

Back
Top Bottom