• Shearwater Teric

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Shearwater Perdix

Votes: 99 68.3%
  • Both of these do not suit you well

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trying to decide this last couple months and ended up with a Teric and will be ordering a strap from Original MN Strap
Basically a NATO made out of bungee.

How does that strap work? It looks like it's just a hook that hooks over a tri-slide on the strap. So, just the right squeeze could undo it.

If that is correct, it is not at all a NATO strap made out of bungee. I would not trust my Teric so something that could come undone so easily. Especially when the strap could potentially get a little loose just from wetsuit compression at depth. A properly sized and fastened NATO strap is NOT going to come undone until you undo it on purpose.

I didn't want to change the straps to wear my 5mm (Everflex which has a wrist slipper and extra inserts) so I just have the strap on the 3rd buckle and use this solution. (Strap changing easily consumes a pin as they cross thread very easily).

IMG_4554 copy.jpg

I didn't want to change the straps to wear my 5mm (Everflex which has a wrist slipper and extra inserts) so I just have the strap on the 3rd buckle and use this solution. (Strap changing easily consumes a pin as they cross thread very easily).

I like that idea. A loop made from bungee could even be sized so that it stayed snug around the arm. Not sure if that cord you have is kind of loose around your arm when you are wearing it.

But, what do you mean by "I just have the strap on the 3rd buckle"?

And, when you say you didn't want to change the straps to wear your 5mm, what do you mean? If you use the stock strap, the stock strap extender attaches without removing the stock strap. No need to even touch the pins. It just goes on the end of the strap that's already there.

I'm confused.... :)

To heck with it. I just ordered 2 of the Narked@90 bungee mounts for the Teric from @Dive Right In Scuba.

It looks to me like they can be rigged to give me exactly what I want. I can use 2 pieces of bungee, so if either breaks, the other one will save my computer. And I can run the bungee through and behind the computer, so if a strap pin breaks, the computer will flop, but still be attached to me. And, obviously, once setup right, it should work on a bare arm or over a drysuit sleeve or anywhere in between.

I like that idea. A loop made from bungee could even be sized so that it stayed snug around the arm. Not sure if that cord you have is kind of loose around your arm when you are wearing it.

But, what do you mean by "I just have the strap on the 3rd buckle"?

And, when you say you didn't want to change the straps to wear your 5mm, what do you mean? If you use the stock strap, the stock strap extender attaches without removing the stock strap. No need to even touch the pins. It just goes on the end of the strap that's already there.

I'm confused.... :)

Yes it fits loose mainly to easily get the loop over my hand. The bungee is a nice idea. I think I'll do that ... more fashionable. I just need to think of a nice way to fasten it tight ... my knots kept undoing :p

I don't seem to have an 'extender'. I do have some long straps that came with the watch. I have a small collection now.

Here's a pic of what I meant by the 3rd buckle [hole] (red arrow) and my collection :)

Attachments

• IMG_4555 copy.jpg
    IMG_4555 copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 282
I have a NATO strap on my Teric and I love it (both the strap and the Teric itself). Very comfortable. But, like all straps, it depends on the material. Stiff nylon will not feel nearly as comfortable as soft nylon.

OP, do you want a watch-style computer or not? That was the deciding factor for me. I don't wear my Teric as a watch when diving locally, but when vacation diving I love having it.

I always wear my previous computer during my entire dive trip but also sometime in my daily life.

I would love to wear it as a daily watch but from my previous experience with Suuunto D6i Novo, i would not wear it as much as i would like to.

I would try to keep it from being used in other activities rather than diving because 1) The more i use, the higher the possibility of damaging it, the fragile(sensitive) sensors [don't want to break them because the computer is my life-line monitor under the water] 2) I live in Asia and Australia, so it might not be convenient to send it to get repaired) 3) Already have a daily watches - but would like a death set one :)

So for me, the size of the watch a.k.a can i wear it daily without being asked why am i wearing it is not much of a factor, i personally value performance over beauty; however, i cannot find sufficient amount of evidence to decide my next computer so i think it is a good idea to ask divers in this website.

I always wear my previous computer during my entire dive trip but also sometime in my daily life.

I would love to wear it as a daily watch but from my previous experience with Suuunto D6i Novo, i would not wear it as much as i would like to.

I would try to keep it from being used in other activities rather than diving because 1) The more i use, the higher the possibility of damaging it, the fragile(sensitive) sensors [don't want to break them because the computer is my life-line monitor under the water] 2) I live in Asia and Australia, so it might not be convenient to send it to get repaired) 3) Already have a daily watches - but would like a death set one :)

So for me, the size of the watch a.k.a can i wear it daily without being asked why am i wearing it is not much of a factor, i personally value the performance over beauty.
I have a Perdix AI. Then I got a Teric (so have both). I like the Teric so much I got a 2nd Teric and am selling my Perdix to a friend.

I use a NATO strap with my Terics and don't have any issues with discomfort in my wetsuit or drysuit.

I actually have 2 NATO straps for each Teric. A shorter one to fit over a wetsuit and a long one to fit over a drysuit. The NATO straps are SO easy to remove (and have to be removed from at least one side, anyway, to charge) that if I were worried about the strap holding salt water and causing corrosion, I would just take the strap off between dive trips. However, I am not worried about that. I soak my Terics, including the straps in fresh water after diving in salt water anyway. I don't want salt to get into the buttons and cause problems down the road.

When you read other people's opinions on Teric vs Perdix, one thing you might consider is whether the person expressing a preference has actually dived both of them. I think there are a fair number of people who express a preference for "the bigger screen", but haven't actually tried "the smaller screen" in the water. I also think there are a fair number of people who have found that, in the water, the Teric screen is very comparable in readability to the Perdix screen, even though the Perdix screen is physically larger.

You have done a good job taking off the strap. Because the Nato strap that i used with my previous dive computer had small dots of brown stuff on it (i think it was some kind of dirt) and spots of sweat that it absorbs ( i sweat a lot)

Have her get in touch with me. I might be able to beat your deal! :rofl3:
You shut your dirty mouth. I called dibs.....Wait that sounds like I may be from Mississippi or W. VA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom