Garuda Indonesia cancelled flights without notifying passengers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carol202

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heads up if going to Indonesia soon. Our group of four divers arrived at the Sorong airport on 20 March 2019 for a flight to Ambon, only to learn the flight had been cancelled in January! No one in our group had received a notification or refund! Bad on us for not confirming our flight at least a day prior, but bad on Garuda, and our travel agent, Nusatrip, for not letting us know.

Garuda scheduled us the next day on Sriwijaya and offered a hotel room and taxi. We also negotiated for meals and the luggage fees Sriwi was going to charge us.

Upon arrival at Ambon, we found we weren't alone. A Dutch guest had learned from her travel agent, 4 days prior to her flight from Ambon, that her flight had been cancelled in January. Two Aussies travelling to Ambon from Lembeh, got 3-days notice from their travel agent.

Our host at Dive Into Ambon mentioned that he didn't know what was going on with all the cancellations.

I have looked online for news on the cancelled flights, but found nothing.

If traveling to Indonesia soon, check your flights.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Grounded Boeing 737 MAX 8 side effects?

The flight number is GA7639 and the aircraft was supposed to be an ATR-72. So it wasn't one of the grounded aircraft, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't pulled to replace one of the grounded planes.

I believe Garuda only has one 737 MAX 8 so that ain't it.

I have never not received notification from Garuda, but I always book direct through them. I wonder if the travel agent/third party dropped the ball.

Wow...... what a cluster (insert word here)! Thank you for the heads up! I'm not traveling to Indonesia any time soon but I have a buddy there now. I will pass on the heads up....

This is very common practive in every airlines in Indonesia.
They cancel flight a couple weeks to a couple days before, they barely give you a reason, it is just the way it is in Indonesia
You usually get notified if you gave an Indonesian phone number during the booking process. If you haven't or have used a thir party like nusatrip or traveloka ( which are actually very good with good customer service ) then sometime they just forgot to tell you.

Other thing to watch out is that they can redeschule the first leg and forget to redeschule the one that come after on the same booking.

Lesson to learn, in indonesia always talke enough padding between your different travel goal and specially for the last internal flight that will connect you to your flight back home.

As they say there : "Jam Karet", the time is elastic :wink:

We had the issue with Garuda last year for a flight from Sorong to Ambon. It was to be a direct flight and we booked directly with Garuda. If not for a fellow diver who wanted the same flight but couldn't find it. Contacted Garuda and were told the flight no longer exists. No notification though. I think I would have been fairly upset had I found out at the airport trying to leave!

Garuda notified me last week that they had modified my return flight from Labuan Bajo to Bali next month. The new time for the flight doesn't fit with my plans and they are refunding the cost.

this happened to me last summer too… but garuda didn't cancel the flight .. they canceled the route months before my trip… it was luwuk-manado oneway, nobody (garuda and traveloka) told us anything, we discovered it at the resort 3 days before leaving because the manager asked us what time we wanted to leave for the airport:shocked::shocked:
we were in a place without proper internet coverage and useless phone signal ... it's only thanks to the manager and the team that contacted garuda and traveloka solving the problem ... garuda paid the most expensive flight with wings and guaranteed us the 20kg of luggage free!
the incredible thing is that 2 days before the flight traveloka sent us the check-in reminder on our non-existent Garuda flight! :-D

Back
Top Bottom