Halcyon Traveler Pro BC for Women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Halcyon Traveler Pro BC for my wife. Could you please share your experience? Will this particular BC fit well for a woman? Any other great options?

Thank you.
Val

Off beat answers here I’m new to BP but have these thoughts

Unless your over 5’6” even 5’8” it might be a little long at your hips. Unless it’s sold in a short or medium frame.

I like the idea of the four weight pockets on the back however I rarely get the actual weights I want on a destination dives, last trip to Bonaire was the same I traded weights through the week but I bet four of the right sizes and weighted weights will often be hard to achieve so your most likely going to need weight pockets. Which isn’t a bad idea anyway.

The cinch with weight pockets requires a little effort to cinch tight. It’s not hard but my wife would not want to deal with it. Just information before you commit. I don’t have that bc but I do have the cinch and I like it a lot. The cinch is nice after you figure it out and if your willing to work it into position each time you put it on. It’s not for some. I have one shoulder that can be tweaked the cinch is probably the only BP that will work without shoulder buckles. Then a loose d rings and spots for gear.

My wifes now diving a small/medium Apek with an 18 pound lift wing. I used it last trip and for tourist diving I actually loved it. Maybe Even more than my Halcyon. For spear fishing and lobster diving the halcyon is still my favorite. The Apek can be stripped down to about 4 pounds for travel your tank will be your support system or you could use just a tank adapter and the harness and pad it can be used with just the harness and pad and it works fine like this. It’s tailorable to many sizes and does not crowd a woman up top while giving you more support than a jacket. I made the observation that it looks like it’s shrink wrapped to her in the water. I recommend you put one on if you can before you buy. Total with BP tank adapter harness and pad and 18 pound wing it’s between 8 to 9 pounds. She will tell you nothing fits her like this.

Thank you for your comments, lowlysubaruguy.
The length of the frame is of my concern. My wife is about 5'6". I contacted Halcyon, and they said that it will fit her well, but I wanted to get some feedback from divers who use it. I agree that it would be the best to try it somewhere.
Dealing with the cinch looks very easy on their promo video, but I see your point.
I will take a look at Apeks.
Thank you again. I appreciate your time.

My wife’s 5’3” the full length BP rub her upper thighs. At 5’6” your wife may be ok but I will tell you what most told me 5’8” is about the shortest you want in a full sized BP now this is from suppliers who don’t want me returning a purchase but someone with actual experience may know if there more wiggle room. But is seemed like 5’8”s is about the comfy point.

I stuff 5 pounds of weight in the weight pockets on my cinch system. The difference in ease of operation from 2 pounds to 5 pounds on each side is huge. I plan on adding more weight to the BP to reduce that not only for trimming but to make the cinch feature easier. One factor I liked about there travel BP but again can you get the right weights on a trip?

It’s not hard to do horizontal in the water though. One crowded boat dive we were crammed in there like sardines I had rental weights the solid six pounders on each side I could not get my cinch pulled down on the boat because I couldn’t move with all the crap happening on the boat. It was the worst boat dive above water to date and I got on a couple of really iffy wood boats in the Philippines with a typhoon in action. I had to adjust it in the water which was fine. Im a serious rough water fisherman it takes a lot for me to not enjoy being on a boat. Fortunately the dive was stellar and I had less regrets about how uncomfortable the boat ride was. My point here is the cinch can be hard to work in the wrong situation. And you are looking for a travel bc where your weights will be a factor quite often.

Let us know what you end up with. My sisters looking for new gear I’m trying to get her to look at the Apek.

@lowlysubaruguy

If your sister is interested in a BP/W, Halcyon makes a short BP that has been a game changer for me. I'm 5'5".

My wife’s 5’3” the full length BP rub her upper thighs. At 5’6” your wife may be ok but I will tell you what most told me 5’8” is about the shortest you want in a full sized BP now this is from suppliers who don’t want me returning a purchase but someone with actual experience may know if there more wiggle room. But is seemed like 5’8”s is about the comfy point.

I stuff 5 pounds of weight in the weight pockets on my cinch system. The difference in ease of operation from 2 pounds to 5 pounds on each side is huge. I plan on adding more weight to the BP to reduce that not only for trimming but to make the cinch feature easier. One factor I liked about there travel BP but again can you get the right weights on a trip?

It’s not hard to do horizontal in the water though. One crowded boat dive we were crammed in there like sardines I had rental weights the solid six pounders on each side I could not get my cinch pulled down on the boat because I couldn’t move with all the crap happening on the boat. It was the worst boat dive above water to date and I got on a couple of really iffy wood boats in the Philippines with a typhoon in action. I had to adjust it in the water which was fine. Im a serious rough water fisherman it takes a lot for me to not enjoy being on a boat. Fortunately the dive was stellar and I had less regrets about how uncomfortable the boat ride was. My point here is the cinch can be hard to work in the wrong situation. And you are looking for a travel bc where your weights will be a factor quite often.

Let us know what you end up with. My sisters looking for new gear I’m trying to get her to look at the Apek.

Many thanks for the detailed information and specifically about the cinch system.
I personally have a DRIS BP/Wing with Hollis Elite Harness, which I see is quite similar to Apeks. I put two weight pockets at the top cylinder strap, and this is where I put all my weights (4 to 6 lb, depending on the wetsuit).
Many thanks again.

I was confused about why you found the cinch system difficult to use until reading this part of your
post. Try lifting the ACB weight pocket or leaning over forward as you adjust. Sounds like the weight is pulling down on the webbing, which causes the cinch to lock by design.

Try pulling at different angles with the harness off, and you’ll see how this works. It’s a feature, not a bug. :wink:

Lance

Yes the angle your belt is at us the key but it still requires some effort. Because I need 5 pounds in each weight pocket I have to work more weight which is not an issue for me but i have plenty of arm strength I could see others without that struggle with it above water. That could change if my shoulder gets worse which is also why I need a cinch or shoulder buckle to begin with.

I mentioned being a part of a sardine can commercial dive with this giant curved six pound weight in each pocket. There was less than no room on this boat. We’re literally crammed into each other I gave up after getting my buckle latched and dealt with readjusting it in the water. As crappy as the boat ride was the dive was great. I would have gotten back on that boat the next day if I could have:)

I do plan on adding about four to six pounds to the backplate which will reduce the weight in my pockets and make the cinch feature easier. But this is only a solution for when I’m in Florida with my own tanks and weights. The cinch is great for some but not all. It works well for me and I’d buy another one in a heartbeat if I lost mine.

I came across this on eBay if anyone is interested. It is not my auction but I have ordered from the seller in the past and was always satisfied. It is rare to see a short plate on eBay, especially at a good price.

I came across this on eBay if anyone is interested. It is not my auction but I have ordered from the seller in the past and was always satisfied. It is rare to see a short plate on eBay, especially at a good price.

If that was a Halcyon plate, I would have jumped on it. But it's not. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom