Storage of dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For short term travel I wouldn't worry as long as it's had a chance to dry off. Long term, I treat all my stuff to an environment that allows some air circulation. But you're right, Mares seems to be taking a cya posture. Common sense should prevail.

C78B7C0C-765E-42C2-A564-18327CBBA274.jpeg
I keep my mares quad in the included soft sided bag that came with it. It’s a soft slightly padded neoprene material so if the computer is wet it will naturally dry in the bag. I then keep that bag inside my regulator bag as that is not air tight so it allows everything to dry.

The specific issue with the mares computers I believe is the two little metal connectors on the bottom of all these models that you use to connect the mares dive link and blue link systems. If they are damp they can react as if the unit is still under water in which case could drain the battery or could cause gases to release and battery corrosion . I personally have not experienced this but before purchasing my quad I read a review of someone being able to make the computers run while out of water simple by applying their wet fingers onto those little metal contact points on the rear.

I am probably wrong on this, but I always thought that when you snap a water tight container shut like tupperware it closes with pressure inside. The smaller the container the more the possibility of slightly higher pressure as the lid is pushed down to close it. This could cause the computer to think it is underwater {sensing the pressure} and turn on, eventually draining the battery. Perhaps if you drill a small hole in the container to equalize then it would be okay, but of course then it wouldn't be a sealed container. I don't know if it's good to store a wet mask {anything really} in a sealed container either.

Read somewhere that batteries release gas and combined with moisture form acid that corrode equipment

No need to remove the battery even if you are storing your computer away for a couple of years. Most modern dive computers (such as the Mares mentioned above by Madacub) use Lithium batteries, which do not leak. Alkaline batteries do leak and can (and most likely will) corrode the electrical contacts if you store them for more than a few months. Only some Jurassic dive computers that I can think of (such as Mares Guardian, M1, and Surveyor) use 1.5V alkaline batteries.

I have two thoughts on this.

First is that the computer is water and airtight to extreme pressure. Damage to the internals is not the issue here.

Second is that we dive in areas that even when things are dry they aren't really dry and sealing them up when the moisture is still in the crevices around the buttons etc will create issues over time. I would assume that the instruction came in response to problems that they have seen. Use common sense. If it is really thoroughly dry, then it isn't going to be a problem. Marginally dry and negligent levels of care may cause issues.

No need to remove the battery even if you are storing your computer away for a couple of years. Most modern dive computers (such as the Mares mentioned above by Madacub) use Lithium batteries, which do not leak. Alkaline batteries do leak and can (and most likely will) corrode the electrical contacts if you store them for more than a few months. Only some Jurassic dive computers that I can think of (such as Mares Guardian, M1, and Surveyor) use 1.5V alkaline batteries.
And the Shearwater Petrel/Perdix may have an AA alkaline in it.

First is that the computer is water and airtight to extreme pressure. Damage to the internals is not the issue here.

I generally agree but there may be an exception for sensors. Some digital pressure sensors for depth use a deflecting diaphragm to isolate them from water so would not be a problem. Some sensors are open to the water through a tiny orifice. A buildup of gunk (fungus, salt, etc) could impact precision by clogging the orifice. That same gunk could increase temperature response time, which is not great on most dive computers to start with.

The more important consideration is contact between bare skin and the "green fuzzies". I'm far from a medical professional but I doubt that it is good for your health -- especially on other bits of gear like masks, mouthpieces, and wetsuits. It might be good theft prevention though. :)

I keep my mares quad in the included soft sided bag that came with it. It’s a soft slightly padded neoprene material so if the computer is wet it will naturally dry in the bag. I then keep that bag inside my regulator bag as that is not air tight so it allows everything to dry.

The specific issue with the mares computers I believe is the two little metal connectors on the bottom of all these models that you use to connect the mares dive link and blue link systems. If they are damp they can react as if the unit is still under water in which case could drain the battery or could cause gases to release and battery corrosion . I personally have not experienced this but before purchasing my quad I read a review of someone being able to make the computers run while out of water simple by applying their wet fingers onto those little metal contact points on the rear.

Hi Diver below, I'm not sure about that metal connectors business. The Mares Icon also has connectors, but there is no mention of airtight containers in that instruction manual.

And I'm skeptical about making the computer run by applying wet fingers to the contacts (did it report elapsed dive time, zero depth, 99 minutes NDL? Or did it just go into surface mode?). It's a big world, and anything is possible, but I need some more details on that for sure. (I get it that it's just a review you read somewhere...)

And the Shearwater Petrel/Perdix may have an AA alkaline in it.

Tursiops, Good observation. The Shearwater Petrel can use a 1.5V AA Alkaline battery and that could lead to terminal corrosion if left unattended for several months. However, I think appropriate to mention that, from the vast universe of batteries a Shearwater can take, installing a 1.5V alkaline is probably the worst choice. A 1.5V AA photo lithium or an LS14500 AA 3.6V lithium not only last longer than a standard 1.5V alkaline but also is insurance against corrosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom