Best Non-Instructor/Non-DM/Non-Commercial Diving Job?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toris1968

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good afternoon divers and happy Friday! I was fortunate enough 8 months ago to land a job at the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory, and I am now a safety diver who dives with Astronauts. So it got me thinking and I was just curious who else out there was lucky enough to turn their passion for diving into a full fledged career that they love, outside of being an instructor, dive master or commercial diver. Anyone else find a unique way to dive for a career?

What a fantastic job! I remember watching a show on the divers behind the scenes an always thought that would be a fun job.

Aquarium diver might be fun.

I got that job in 1998. It paid $8.00/hour. I quit within the week. Lol

Commercial spearfisherman, lobster diver, urchin diver etc.
Boat is equipment. Huge tax benefit there as with all other gear.
Per diem if you travel away from home.

Options for travel are better for crew but owner makes more.
Some of my guys have made close to $1k a day on good trips, most average $500 a day over the season. Not bad for part time work getting paid to dive.

Commercial spearfisherman, lobster diver, urchin diver etc.
Boat is equipment. Huge tax benefit there as with all other gear.
Per diem if you travel away from home.

Options for travel are better for crew but owner makes more.
Some of my guys have made close to $1k a day on good trips, most average $500 a day over the season. Not bad for part time work getting paid to dive.

How long is the seasons and how many fishing days do you get? Just wondering as 500 dollars a day is about three times as a captain of a fishing vessel gets in my waters.

Good afternoon divers and happy Friday! I was fortunate enough 8 months ago to land a job at the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory, and I am now a safety diver who dives with Astronauts. So it got me thinking and I was just curious who else out there was lucky enough to turn their passion for diving into a full fledged career that they love, outside of being an instructor, dive master or commercial diver. Anyone else find a unique way to dive for a career?

So are you a Nasa employee?
There may be a lot of great dive jobs(some have been mentioned in this thread) but few will have the medical benefits and other perks that working for the federal government will have!
Congratulations!!

So are you a Nasa employee?
There may be a lot of great dive jobs(some have been mentioned in this thread) but few will have the medical benefits and other perks that working for the federal government will have!
Congratulations!!
Technically, the diving contract is subcontracted from NASA to Raytheon. But we have access to Johnson Space Center facilities. I’m recently retired from the military so it’s been a great second career so far! Hasn’t been a day yet that I just don’t want to get up and go to work, lol.

My friend is a safety diver for movies... I don't know how much it pays but he loves doing it as a side job besides being dive shop owner and Instructor trainer. He says it is sometimes hard though, being hours in the water as the shootings have to be redone and redone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom