7 weeks to dive, what should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 weeks of diving on the cheap? And you want to do LOTS of SCUBA DIVING!
Bonaire would be my choice hands down!
Where else in the world are you going to be able to have access to gorgeous warm water diving, complete dive freedom, unlimited tanks with nitrox for $180 a week? If you are going to be there for 7 straight weeks, you could probably even negotiate a discount- not that you need to.

My wife and I are off to the Philippines next Monday for 2 weeks of diving. I have lots of lifetime experience in SE Asia. Nevertheless, If any of my children posed the question that you did, I would be directing them to Bonaire.

Hoping I don't get flamed here-- I am not saying that the "quality" of diving in Bonaire exceeds that of SE Asia or anywhere else for that matter. I am suggesting that for a 7 week trip from North America that has a focus on LOTS of diving and best bang for the buck, I would strongly consider Bonaire.

Sounds like a dream come true.

I would mix it up with topside activities. Will be a life changer.

Agree, go west. Couple weeks in the Philippines, couple weeks in Bali, week in Komodo, week in Thailand. Maybe PNG? Budget the rest of the days for travel.

Might as well see the best in the world in the coral triangle.

It depends. If you want to rack up potloads of shore dives, Bonaire is good. Actually, there are good shore dives on Cayman Brac but it would be hard to get out to the wall. There are good shallow dives. You would need a car, condo and the food shopping is a bit thin. But if you like out islands, it might work. Another place with piles of diving is CoCo View. You do 4 dives per day as a base and you could pick up 2 more shore diving. Or you could dive Utila. There is quite a bit of variety there. I think at Utopia Village, you do 3 boat dives. You could probably get them to take an extra tank and you could hop off a ways from the resort and shore exit. They have good shore dives so you could get 5 dives per day. Now if you want night life, I don’t know if the above would work except Bonaire and maybe Cozumel.

I'd go somewhere with 30 degree C / 86 degree F water and above. Dive every single day that you can. Do dive in a wetsuit as many dives each day your body will cool off.

I would spend at least 4 of those weeks in Cozumel, 1 on blackbeards liveaboard, maybe 2 weeks in bonaire as shore diving is cheaper if you have your own gear and another week in Bimini. You can live and eat cheap in Cozumel, blackbeards is 1k usd for a week of liveaboard diving, lodging will cost a bit more in Bonaire but you save cash on shore diving

Hey, the liveaboard thing in Cozumel Mexico is actually a great idea! I didnt know that sort of thing existed, but that sounds like something fun to try

Sorry for the poorly worded response, blackbeards liveaboard is in Exuma. That's when I would piggyback a week in Bimini. But given your location, and my lack of geographic knowledge of Canada, I would suggest Thailand as others have. Cheap cost of living and a great variety of diving

Back
Top Bottom