Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i thought i replied yesterday.

in any case thank you guys for your recommendations, I want to make sure if i use any products it is safe for the ecosystem, that is my top concern. I have pretty short hair, not buzz cut short but I had a chelsea during the summer so the shortest bits are about 4 inches, just enough to get in the way and get gross when diving lol.

I just purchased a spandex/nylon swim cap for the same reason. Hated my hair flying around even when it was tied and clipped back. Does not keep the hair dry but keeps it contained. When I shower I shampoo and condition from there. Seems to work in all kinds of water.

in the drug stores they sell these combs ( with teeth) that go around your head and have a fastener at the back.They are cheap. They are about 9 inches in diameter and work well for me. They keep the hair off my forehead and out of my mask and slow down the tangling. My hair is long so I also have a pony tail in the back. When I am done for the day, I condition first then rinse, then shampoo and condition again.

Conditioner at every shower opportunity. When I was on the Cayman Aggressor in February, they had bottles of conditioner at the transom shower stations. At first I thought it was ridiculous to be conditioning my hair so much, but wow did it keep my hair healthy for the week of diving.

We keep conditioner on the boat for guests for after the last dive of the day. Also I have really thick hair and am a huge fan of the wet brush you can find at many shops like CVS in the States and Boots in the U.K.

Just came back from a week of diving in Bonaire. I have very thick, curly, frizzy, long hair. Before this trip, I would put my hair in a pony tail, braid it, and use scrunchies intermittently along the braid to try and contain it. I would always be dealing with a mess and significant tangling at the end of the day (conditioner did little to help). For this trip, I decided to take my hair and put it in a bun, held with a scrunchy. Oh my gosh - what a difference! I would re-wrap the bun after each dive, and at the end of the day, when I washed my hair, it was amazing how much easier it was to detangle my hair. No more rats nest.

So, for those of you with thick, curly, frizzy hair, I wanted to pass this along because I have not been able to get anything else to work as well as the bun, up to this point.

Note - I spent the 1st half of the week without a dive hood, and the 2nd half of the week with a hood. Hair was still in a bun, and with the hood, I didn't have to redo the bun after each dive.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

I have thick hair that goes halfway down my back. Here is what I do:

- I wear a cotton headband to keep the hair out of my face (you can get a five pack at any grocery store). Helps with keeping a nice seal on your mask
- It's in pony tail because its the easiest to deal with afterwards.
- AND, I leave my hair alone until I am done diving for the day.

Once in the shower, I saturate my hair with conditioner.

I don't touch my hair until done diving for the day either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom