Older equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No question that in theory that should be the way it is. Unfortunately that is not always the case. When getting my tanks filled at a local LDS some years ago I witnessed a regulator being serviced on a dirty piece of carpet on a dirty workbench. The technician then set the cracking effort using a bucket of water. Yes, you can adjust the cracking effort that way but probably not exactly to factory specifications. Nitrox regs were also probably serviced on that same piece of dirty carpet as it was the only workstation. Having had one of my regs serviced there and finding a piece of carpet pile in my first stage preventing one of the hoses from sealing I started servicing my own regs.

Well that's a good point. In every profession there are some incompetent people, from police to politicians, from professors to priests... and yes, some carpenters and some regulator techs.

Normally the industry will filter them out but it doesn't always work that way. My conviction, however, is that without regular practice, my chances of making a mistake are about on par with the worst of the worst.... and if I won't trust my regs to the worst of the worst, then I shouldn't be doing them myself either.

If you believe otherwise then I would advise you to research the Dunning-Kruger effect. What it basically says is that people who are incompetent and unaware of their incompetence are much more likely to overestimate and/or over state their skills and qualifications than actual experts. You can see multiple demonstrations of the Dunning-Kruger effect every time you turn on the evening news so you don't need to look far to understand how it works.

That said, you are right about one thing. You MUST be critical because you want your regs to be serviced by someone you trust and it's true that you can't trust everyone.

R..

Well that's a good point. In every profession there are some incompetent people, from police to politicians, from professors to priests... and yes, some carpenters and some regulator techs.

Normally the industry will filter them out but it doesn't always work that way. My conviction, however, is that without regular practice, my chances of making a mistake are about on par with the worst of the worst.... and if I won't trust my regs to the worst of the worst, then I shouldn't be doing them myself either.

If you believe otherwise then I would advise you to research the Dunning-Kruger effect. What it basically says is that people who are incompetent and unaware of their incompetence are much more likely to overestimate and/or over state their skills and qualifications than actual experts. You can see multiple demonstrations of the Dunning-Kruger effect every time you turn on the evening news so you don't need to look far to understand how it works.

That said, you are right about one thing. You MUST be critical because you want your regs to be serviced by someone you trust and it's true that you can't trust everyone.

R..
The problem I have with that is I have no way of knowing how much care they're putting into my regs unless I watch them, which likely isn't an option because if I follow someone around for a couple of hours they're probably going to call the cops, and on average, servicing my regs (at least around here) has taken two weeks to a month. The stories I have heard about the LDS that I referenced before are from a family member (of the shop owner) that I believe and trust, and that's about as far as I'm going to go with that.

I don't have a "local" option that I can trust. My regs have come back working perfectly fine from another LDS about an hour away, but that shop has unfortunately shut down, so now my option is to learn it myself or drive three hours away. (Risking sending an entire reg set through Canada's mail system isn't something I'm prepared to do right now, especially since I have nobody to check on them to make sure they work when they get back to me.) I prefer to learn myself. And I'd be willing to drive to take a course or two. Why am I okay with that?

1. I learn fast. Damn fast. I've taught myself tons of stuff by reading print or online. That said, I'm also mechanically inclined and I have most of the tools that are listed above.

2. This is MY life support equipment. I'm obviously more invested in it, even more invested than someone who has worked on a pile of them. If I screw up, it's my life we're talking about. Not some customer's life. Mine. If you screw up my life support equipment and I die as a result, maybe you get sued by my estate or you get bad PR and have to close down or maybe you just lose a little business and have to lay off an employee or two. I get DEAD. And I paid you for it. Maybe I'm just jaded because I live in a landlocked province that has bowls of chicken noodle soup to dive in and there aren't a ton of dive shops around and I'm forced to deal with people that I don't trust fully....who knows. I'm still fairly new to diving, so I don't know all of the local dive scene yet, and I'm still a fairly new customer. For those of you that live in more diving-friendly areas, you probably get to deal with great dive shops because there's a ton of local competition, so everyone has to be on their A-game, so maybe more care is exercised. Around here, not so much competition and it's a bit more exclusive.

That said, I still haven't decided what maker to go with. The Apeks regs that I'm considering are in central Alberta, which is about a 9 hour drive from where I live, so checking them over or having someone more experienced look at them isn't an option for me. They were recently serviced, but then again I have no idea what that dive shop is like, so I'm not fully comfortable making the purchase. Might feel more comfortable if I knew someone that could service Apeks stuff, but my buddy only has training for Aqua Lung gear. I have decided that I'm going to go with something new, and I'll probably pick up a singles setup on a long hose and a sidemount setup from the same company when I go that route (probably next-year country now....we're buying a house this year.)

Just get it cheap and pull it apart mate

look at that rust and schlep yuk
because I never remember to on or off my pony bottle
oh yeah and I swapped the second in the ocean a couple of times
for a hundred dives
full.jpg

disgraceful really but still worked fine

at the bottom is one I prepared earlier

throw everything in a box of hot vinegar for a bit, suds it up wash and dry it

full.jpg

used some acid on the rust,

nice and clean, service kits? yeah right, what for??
check the orings and put it together with some lube

full.jpg

but mine usually go off for some R&R

full.jpg

Now these I suppose are approaching old
used the one on the left on a decent couple of dives last week
now the one on the right is going on 30--40 m dives next week
just rebuilt it haven't used it yet

full.jpg

with a horsecollar with a little bottle for buoyancy

With some homemade in the laundry parts and some old parts

Canadian peeps....where can I find a HOG and/or Apeks reg. service course that's reasonably close to Regina? IE Calgary, Winnipeg, possibly even Edmonton.

Canadian peeps....where can I find a HOG and/or Apeks reg. service course that's reasonably close to Regina? IE Calgary, Winnipeg, possibly even Edmonton.

@abnfrog is a Hog repair instructor but he's not close to you.

thx for the plug @JohnnyC ........yes but there are cheap flights and your accommodation is free so it could be cost effective , and if you can set up a class in your area I can travel to you

That said, I'm also mechanically inclined and I have most of the tools that are listed above.

Hi Darcimus,

@Diver0001 probably should not perform his own service work. You and I are mechanically inclined. If you are like me, you have done mechanical work as a vocation. If you are like me, you have had formal training in mechanics and machining.

My Dad and I are similar in this regard. Give my Dad the special tools required, and a manual, and he will rebuild that reg better than anyone can--without ever using or seeing that regulator before. If my brother were given the same opportunity, your life would be endangered. My brother is highly intelligent, but not mechanically inclined at all. No training either.

Scuba regulators are very simple devices made with cheap materials and sloppy fits. They are not advanced pieces of equipment.

Some of us are capable of rebuilding regulators, and some are not.

I think you are capable, IMHO.

Read the manual.

thanks,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom