Getting used to my new BP/W set-up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingblueberry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello good people of Scubaboard

Even though I am satisfied with my back inflate BCD, I decided to go for a BP/W set-up as I am aiming to do the ITT course some time this summer. Thanks to all the amazing information I found on SB, I got a pretty decent set-up for my upcoming diving in the St-Laurence (both drysuit and wetsuit) : VDH SS back-plate, VDH 35 lb wing and Hog Hogarthian Basic Harness.

I have read many times that it takes a little while to get the BP/W set-up right, so I’d like to have your tips, advice an experience about going from a BCD to BP/W.

Are there major differences in the water ? What to avoid or try during the first dives ? Any bits of information to help me get it right is welcome.

Safe diving. :)

Note : if that has already been talked about many times, thanks in advance for pointing me to the right thread.

Don't get frustrated if you find it difficult to get into the rig. It will become easier over time with practice.

If you bought it from a shop, they should help you with the configuration and weight distribution.

Properly set up, you should be upright on the surface without struggling or being pushed face down when fully inflated and in natural horizontal trim position underwater.

I found managing trim to be the biggest difference after switching. I seem to be much more susceptible to head down or feet up trim than when I used a traditional BCD. It's not difficult but it does take some patience depending what type of exposure protection or tanks you're using.

only if you compensate by tightening the crotch strap
Well yes, the crotch strap should be adequately adjusted, but the shoulder straps are one of those things that most people assume should be snugged up and if you don't have any first hand experience with proper tightness, you're going to have way too tight.

I found managing trim to be the biggest difference after switching. I seem to be much more susceptible to head down or feet up trim than when I used a traditional BCD. It's not difficult but it does take some patience depending what type of exposure protection or tanks you're using.

That's a feature, not a bug. Chances are that what you though was flat before wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom