PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the AquaLink/AquaLink Views. They are bulkier and $$, but 25% more powerful with something like an additional 45% of operational time. More power and time is attractive ...

I bought an Aqualink View about a year ago.

I decided with the view for a couple reasons. Firstly, I dont fully trust any gear. I liked being able to test and get a LAT/LONG read out to verify that it was correct before taking it to the field. I have tested outside of my house, and then did another test about 60 miles past cell service into the backcountry of Southwestern Virginia. Both tests gave my position within 3 meters of where I was standing, verified by my GPS. I loved seeing that.

Secondly, the additional battery life. I almost always solo hike, and have been involved with SAR rescues where it will routinely take 12+ hours to have personnel respond to the staging area and implement a search plan. In bad weather this time could increase dramatically.

I would imagine being lost off the shore of NC or FL the chances of you being rescued within 24 hours are very high. I would not be so sure the same would be true if your SAR team is being coordinated in Mexico / Philippines/ etc. I can think of no worse feeling than floating off shore and having your battery die on your PLB (well, maybe floating without one would be worse).

If nothing else the PLB brings a great reassurance to my wife any time I am out on my own doing whatever it is. To me, 400 dollars to buy my family peace of mind is worth it. Much easier than justifying the cost of a backup Perdix Lol!

(Tagging a few folks who either tagged me or mentioned that additional safety gear wasn't needed: @bada3003, @Johnoly, @Dan_T, @boulderjohn, @Storker)
I am not sure why I made this list.

I have said many times over the last decade that I believe SMBs should be required in Cozumel, and I bring one on any dive where it might possibly be of use. I own a PLB and take it on dives where it might possibly be needed.

I am not sure why I made this list.

I have said many times over the last decade that I believe SMBs should be required in Cozumel, and I bring one on any dive where it might possibly be of use. I own a PLB and take it on dives where it might possibly be needed.

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't mean to include you there. Guess I was just thinking about you? :) (I was trying to not include a large number of quoted posts so thought I'd just tag people instead. Obviously, that backfired.)

Tagging a few folks who either tagged me or mentioned that additional safety gear wasn't needed
Where did I categorically state that additional safety gear isn't needed?

Where did I categorically state that additional safety gear isn't needed?

This, below? <0.1% or < 1 in 1000 dives = 0 if you dive less than 1000 times. If your profile page is up to date, 100-199 dives means you never carry one :D

99.9% (or more) of my diving is in conditions where carrying a PLB or an EPIRB would be serious overkill. In those scenarios, gettting lost at sea would be one of my minor concerns. Sure, there are other issues to handle, but just because of that I prefer to do an informed risk analysis and carry the most relevant equipment.

With all of this fresh reassessment of emergency and safety gear I think there should also be a discussion about their use and timing of use. I don’t know if it warrants a new thread or having it here so I will leave that to the mods. Assuming you have all or part of the kit everyone is discussing many of the items are time sensitive in when they should be deployed. I can easily see an anxious diver drifting out of site of their dive operator in a 2/3rd world location deploying a plb to early and having batteries run out before there is even an effective SAR operation mounted or using visual aids that are short lived before they can be effective. Most dive operations I think would be reluctant to notify authorities early and could spend hours trying to handle an issue themselves. It just looks bad for business when you lose clients. Is there any training or guidance on order and timing of various rescue gear deployment? I am sure the military has researched this and I know it is case and site specific. In general I would think along the lines of something like this. Within site of boat deploy smb use whistle/horn and a signal mirror if you can. Once you realize you are lost. Nautilus and vhf devices get activated as soon as you realize the boat is not seeing visual aids. I do not know if these can be turned off to conserve battery and later assist in rescue. If they can it would be advisable to turn it off after a PLBs is activated and used again when searchers are near or the plb runs out. After 2-3 hrs start PLBs. I think this gives enough time for a dive op to recognize the issues seriousness and notify authorities. Strobes, Lights, buzz saw chem sticks, and marker die get activated only when you see or hear boats or aircraft nearby, then turned off when they leave. A streamer or Mylar blanket should be secured to you and left out the whole time. These are just ideas in my mind and I would like to hear procedures others would use.

With all of this fresh reassessment of emergency and safety gear I think there should also be a discussion about their use and timing of use. I don’t know if it warrants a new thread or having it here so I will leave that to the mods. Assuming you have all or part of the kit everyone is discussing many of the items are time sensitive in when they should be deployed. I can easily see an anxious diver drifting out of site of their dive operator in a 2/3rd world location deploying a plb to early and having batteries run out before there is even an effective SAR operation mounted or using visual aids that are short lived before they can be effective. Most dive operations I think would be reluctant to notify authorities early and could spend hours trying to handle an issue themselves. It just looks bad for business when you lose clients. Is there any training or guidance on order and timing of various rescue gear deployment? I am sure the military has researched this and I know it is case and site specific. In general I would think along the lines of something like this. Within site of boat deploy smb use whistle/horn and a signal mirror if you can. Once you realize you are lost. Nautilus and vhf devices get activated as soon as you realize the boat is not seeing visual aids. I do not know if these can be turned off to conserve battery and later assist in rescue. If they can it would be advisable to turn it off after a PLBs is activated and used again when searchers are near or the plb runs out. After 2-3 hrs start PLBs. I think this gives enough time for a dive op to recognize the issues seriousness and notify authorities. Strobes, Lights, buzz saw chem sticks, and marker die get activated only when you see or hear boats or aircraft nearby, then turned off when they leave. A streamer or Mylar blanket should be secured to you and left out the whole time. These are just ideas in my mind and I would like to hear procedures others would use.

Pretty much what I would do. That’s the reason I have PAB (Nautilus) & PLB (PLB1).

Yes, they can be turned off to conserve battery.

PLB1
http://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/1364301061_PLB1_User_Manual.pdf
“3 .2 Deactivation
To deactivate your PLB after use, or if it is accidentally activated, press the key for one second until the indicator LED flashes red twice, then release. Rewind the antenna by turning the knob on the top of the PLB clockwise.”

Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS
https://www.nautiluslifeline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ManualEN-Nautilus-Marine-Rescue-GPS.pdf
Step 5 of Operation
“Hold down the red “H” button for 5 seconds to deactivate distress transmission”

This, below? <0.1% or < 1 in 1000 dives = 0 if you dive less than 1000 times. If your profile page is up to date, 100-199 dives means you never carry one :D
For lots of people, some of that gear is indeed overkill. I do a lot of diving in a deep sinkhole in New Mexico. It is about 400-500 feet across and 280 feet deep. Once I get back to the surface, I am not concerned about being located. Call me a fool if you wish, but I do not take my PLB on those dives.

Re: Artex PLBs

The ResQLink 400/425s (425 = ResQLink View) are replacing the ResQLink/ResQLink+ correct?

What about the AquaLink/AquaLink Views. They are bulkier and $$, but 25% more powerful with something like an additional 45% of operational time. More power and time is attractive ...

For ACR, the new ones are replacing ALL of the old ones, including the Aqualinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom