Medical release, how long are they good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mac66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Theoretically, if I had to answer yes on a medical waiver form for diving and provided a letter from my doctor how long would the letter be good? Months, years, forever?

Usually a year.

Doc has to actually sign the form, not just provide a letter.

Usually one year. Unless you had a surgery, medical condition or some other reason for one to be void.

Agreed, dated within 1 year.

And how many people just answer NO to all the questions so they don't have to provide a letter/waiver?

And how many people just answer NO to all the questions so they don't have to provide a letter/waiver?

I guess it depends on what you’re trying to hide. I simply have allergies that I require daily meds for. My doc signs off on the form when I go for my annual checkup.

What are you trying to hide? If it’s something bad enough that your dive buddy might end up having to deal with something really bad, you better rethink answering no to all questions.

I accept waivers for training within a year of the do signing them. Or if there has been a subsequent injury or change in medical status.

My wife and I always carry a current medical waiver. But they are really only needed if seeking training (or as required for a dive pro by the agency.)

Maybe some divers do but please think carefully.
You are hiding something bad enough that you may not get a sign off???
  • You are putting yourself in danger.
  • You are putting your buddy in danger.
  • You are putting the boat crew / dive leaders in danger.
  • You just voided any medical insurance you had, yep its void.
Once had a qualified diver who answered "NO" to everything.
After she became semi-concious ( is that the right term) underwater and had to be brought to the surface and towed to the boat by me, it transpired that she had been diagnosed with COPD.
WTF?
A different day, a different circumstance and she could have drowned.
That was not one of my best days.

I just went through this. All the advice I got was to never lie on the med form, and just get the doctor’s signature. If you have nothing to worry about, then your doc will sign no problem. If it is going to threaten your ability to dive safely, better know sooner than later.

Best of luck!

My wife and I always carry a current medical waiver. But they are really only needed if seeking training (or as required for a dive pro by the agency.)
And they are needed by some liveaboards....recently I had to produce one that was less than 6 months old. they would not accept my 8-month old version.

Back
Top Bottom