What do you use to track equipment usage for maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a pen and paper, note when tanks need visual and hydro and which year I get the reg serviced (I do it about every 2 years) and tape it in my scuba area. Hmm. What else has to be serviced? I have never had my old used BC serviced in 14 years and will when there is a problem. But, I rarely dive below 40'. I'd get it serviced once in a while if my dives were usually deeper.

Last year I'd agree with you. Using a calendar or google spreadsheet would be my first choice. But at this point, it looks like the amount of diving I'm doing will make it inadequate. Let me explain...

I have (2) first stages and (4) second stages. I probably will have about 200-300 dives from January to June. My equipment requires anywhere from 1-2 years or 100-200 dives whichever happens first. I use different regs for different dives and I'm afraid of sending them to be serviced way too late and paying the consequences underwater.

Dedicate an excel sheet and log hours like you would engine hours for a boat or plane.
OR
Service them biannually accordingly to your estimate and the regulator manual.
Send them in May-June & December-January every year.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing that would make you think of that dive count estimate?

My tanks are stamped with the month and year for their last hydro/vis. I know that there's two years between hydro/vis, so I just check the stamp and compare to today's date to know if it's time for service.

My reg set is supposed to be served every 2 years/50 dives (yes, I know that PADI recommends one year). I haven't the skills nor the equipment to serve it myself, so I check it in roughly within limits for my own peace of mind. The last service date is on a small slip visible on my 1st, so I just have to check the calendar and my log.

The rest of the gear I service myself when it's needed.

Get an IP gauge and check your first stages once in a while. Get them serviced when the pressure creeps.

Using MacDive as a log offers the opportunity to keep tab of each piece of equipment used on a particular dive, and it keeps a record of the total number of dives and hours for every piece of equipment. You can set a record of the various repairs/services due or done as well.

I use common sense and an IP gauge. Common sense is to check out our gear well before a big trip and make sure everything works. And even then that means putting together a save a trip kit with batteries. If there were issues on the trip take of them when I get home.

FWIW I service regs when they need it, not based on set time period or number of dives.

Agree with JMBL macdive is awesome! Buy a mac, Get an iphone and MacDive will be the total package.

I don’t use anything. All my gear gets serviced in the off season (winter) as I only dive April to late Oct. I just spread it out over the off season so I don’t take a $$ hit all at once.

When the spg swivel gets squeaky and before it gets leaky

Reactions: Doc
As other have said the IP gauge is your friend when it comes to first stages. One of the best less than $20.00 investments you can make when it come to determining the condition of your first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom