Moving to Europe.....tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svbravo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am American, preparing to move to Europe, after a few years living in NZ.. Packing up my dive gear. I have room on the pallet for my 4 tanks (3 Al, 1 steel), all American, DOT, but last hydro from NZ. Yoke valves.

Will I be able to get these tanks filled (w/ DIN adaptor, of course) in Europe? Can they be recertified there? Or is it too much hassle, and should I leave them behind and start w/ new? Thanks!

Where are you moving?? I took my US Al cylinder, but it was in hydro. I had no problems with my club in France filling it. But was over 20 years ago.

Start new. The testing/cylinder valve threads are different over here.

Depending on where you're going you may have difficulty getting US DOT tested cylinders filled in Europe. Our LDS has a sign next to the whip bank that says they can't, but I'm not sure if this is an EU or UK thing. That said, there's no reason you can't get them retested.

I would also take any comments about non-diving safety with a very large pinch of salt.

Mine are still in storage in the USA. I asked the dive shops nearby and they said they would not fill them unless the cylinders had European stamps.

Sell your tanks....you cannot get US/Canadian spec tanks hydro tested in Europe and this may cause shops not to fill your tanks.

That being said, some dive sites have self-serve coin operated fill stations..there is usually no body checking if the tank being filled is in spec or not, but if there is a problem where there is injury or damage all the liability will be on your shoulders.

There is a small possibility of having US/Canadian tanks tested in the UK...but I don't know if shops in Europe will honor it, I just know that I have an American colleague who is a member of a dive club I am a part of who has his tanks tested in England...but he uses the club's compressor for fills.

-Z

"many dive sites use self-serve coin operated fill stations" , not in the UK. Stamps are checked 90% of the time. You're chancing it with out of date cylinders etc..

I edited my post to read "some" as opposed to "many"....My experience is based on Belgium, Netherlands, and France.

-Z

Getting a test in Germany costs about 30-40 euros per tank, it could be cheaper or more expensive elsewhere. Consider the transportation costs and do the math. Btw, there might be other issues with your tank such as missing CE mark in your tank or valve and your tanks may fail the certification despite they are in ok condition. You need to be more specific about your destination to get more accurate advice. To be honest, I would not bother, tanks are not so expensive, you can get a new tank with valve around 200 euros these days.

even if you have your own compressor, it is illegal to carry your tanks in you car if hydro and VIS are not up to date.
You need CE stamp in your tanks, to fill them in a shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom