Sharks having a go at my video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I should have been more specific, seeing as how I am on Scuba Board and everyone will analyze every word :D

My point is they are not what most people envision them to be, some animal in the water that will swim up to you and "maul" you. I attribute them to dogs in many different ways here are just a few examples.

Let's say you are playing with a Pit Bull and you break out his favorite kong, his behavior changes and he becomes more aggressive. He wants the kong, and you you have to be careful that he won't jump up and try to take the kong and catch your hand in the crossfire. But he is not trying to maul you, he just wants to play with the kong. I think this is what the sharks are doing when they sense the electro magnetic pulse from camera lights. He is not swimming at you and bumping the camera because he wants to attack you, he just wants the kong.

Another example would be when I shoot a fish and a shark is in the area. Behavior changes almost instantly and they become much more aggressive. Kind of like when you break out a treat in front of a dog, behavior changes and they may start jumping or darting, maybe even jumping on you. But he just wants the treat, thats how sharks are when there is food in the water. They get excited, they might get an easy meal, so they swim circles around, maybe even bump you, but they are not trying to eat you, they just want the treat.

This is why spear fisherman hold their catch really close to their chest, because the shark will not come as close, or attempt to snatch it (just like a sly dog snatches a treat). But if you leave the fish dangling from your stringer, that shark may make a run at it, and snatch it from you. I have seen it happen multiple times, but the only danger you are in is getting caught in the crossfire, they are not trying to eat you, bite you and they don't want to. They just want the treat.

Even when that bull charged me from below, I inhaled, made myself look big and pointed my gun at him. He immediately darted off. But he was testing me, to see if I would drop the treat to him, Goliath will do this too but they are much more aggressive than sharks. They are also territorial and sharks are not. If sharks were territorial I wouldn't get in the water.

Hope that makes sense. Perfect example below

Sharks seem attracted to strobes, presumably because of the electrical fields. (My husband has theorized when he uses 2 strobes of different models, the resulting field or sound is especially "interesting" to them.) I once saw him and another photographer get repeatedly bumped while they went near no one without cameras. I don't know if this would apply to continuous large lights are as interesting, or how the electronics differ.)
This.

I've been on two shark dives, both were with operators who regularly did shark dives. In both cases, lights were forbidden and for this reason. We didn't test the theory, but I guess now there's some video evidence to back it up :). Fortunately no divers or sharks appeared to have been injured.

Recently I went for a dive where Grey Nurse sharks congregate (aka sand tiger shark or spotted ragged-tooth shark). There's a State Code of Conduct for diving with these sharks. I think it's commonsense for most divers.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 12.44.53 pm.png

Here's a link to the Code: Department of the Environment and Energy
Here's a link for more info re sharks in OZ: Department of the Environment and Energy

Recently I went for a dive where Grey Nurse sharks congregate (aka sand tiger shark or spotted ragged-tooth shark). There's a State Code of Conduct for diving with these sharks. I think it's commonsense for most divers.

View attachment 510914

Here's a link to the Code: Department of the Environment and Energy
Here's a link for more info re sharks in OZ: Department of the Environment and Energy

Nurse Sharks are the most vicious sharks out there in Bahamas caribbean and responsible for most of the bites. people think the fact they stand still which is a characteristic of lemon nurse and sand tiger sharks means they can touch them and then they get bitten. There are also plenty of reports of bitten gopro poles similar reason. They are also able to suck the food out if you use a plastic crate instead of a close one in metal for feeding

Today I had a sucker (remora) follow me and literally wouldn’t leave me alone. I thought it was gonna attach itself to my leg. And it loved my camera. Followed me the whole dive on conch wall

That was a first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom