Help with TG-5 UW housing set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoinDivin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just purchased the TG-5, Olympus UW housing, Sea & Sea YS-03 Strobe and tray (pictured below). The only way I can secure the housing to the tray seems to be if the whole housing is inside the tray (pictured below). It's secure but I cannot open the housing door to access the camera without taking it off the tray because the tray has a lip on the back preventing the door from opening. If I attach it with the door above the lip it doesn't screw in all the way and wobbles. Has anyone else had this issue or am I just a complete moron? Is it supposed to be attached like this?

Tray

upload_2019-3-22_10-40-46.png

Problem
upload_2019-3-22_11-13-31.png

I lean a little cave man, but i would just shave the lip down, unless it will allow the camera/housing to spin.

Can you rotate the camera 180° so the front of the camera is against the lip? You would also need to swap the flexarm to the other end of the tray if you want to keep it as a left hand hold if there is that capability built into the tray, Otherwise add a washer or some type of spacer.

Can you rotate the camera 180° so the front of the camera is against the lip? You would also need to swap the flexarm to the other end of the tray if you want to keep it as a left hand hold if there is that capability built into the tray, Otherwise add a washer or some type of spacer.

I thought of that too Chris Ross but there is no way to put the flexarm on the other end and using my left hand to manuever the buttons would is too frustrating.

I lean a little cave man, but i would just shave the lip down, unless it will allow the camera/housing to spin.

When the housing isn't butted up against the lip it spins and loosens from the screw.

I've read hundreds of reviews and no one mentioned this, I can't believe this is designed like this?!?

I have the TG-4 with that set up and no you're not an id10t, unless I am too (can't be fully ruled out!!). The only time I'm opening up the housing is after 2 back to back dives though. I either loosen the housing enough from the arm to be able to open the case and remove the camera to change the battery; or I'm done diving for that day so I'm taking it apart anyway to do a full rinse and pulling the battery and memory card.

I believe it is actually a design 'feature' as it keeps the housing squared on the arm and doesn't allow it to rotate at all while diving and manoeuvring the flexible part of the arm. Thus no chance of working loose and coming apart.

Are you sure you can't swap ends? Have a look at this page: Sea & SeaYS-03 Universal Lighting System for Underwater Photography In the pictures click on show more and click on the very last image, which is the tray. This one shows two screws which I am assuming hold the T bar which is used to attach the handle to the tray. You should be able to undo those and move the T bar to the other end. What I can't see is whether or not the holes are threaded or if there is a plate underneath for those screws to screw into, you would need to check that before attempting to dismantle the tray.

Are you sure you can't swap ends? Have a look at this page: Sea & SeaYS-03 Universal Lighting System for Underwater Photography In the pictures click on show more and click on the very last image, which is the tray. This one shows two screws which I am assuming hold the T bar which is used to attach the handle to the tray. You should be able to undo those and move the T bar to the other end. What I can't see is whether or not the holes are threaded or if there is a plate underneath for those screws to screw into, you would need to check that before attempting to dismantle the tray.

I can move the that allover the place but unless it sits inside the tray it swivels and I'm afraid it will come lose.

If you put the flash at the other end of the tray you can turn it 180 deg and have the front of the housing facing the lip on the tray, that way you can open the back. To stop it twisting slide the housing/mounting screw as far forward as you can till it contacts the lip. It looks like the connecting screw is in a slot allowing you to slide it forwards. Keep in mind this is a universal tray and looks like it been designed so you do stuff like this so it can fit varying housings.

Here’s what I did:
Thread all three screws into the housing loosely
Push the housing to the lip on the plate and at the same time tighten the thumb screw all the way down
Once the housing is tight up against the lip, tighten the two Phillips screws

I “screwed around” with this for quite a bit and I totally feel your frustration. The same issue happens with the strobe. The thumb screw is the single point that holds it in place and it wiggles. I’m half tempted to spray some Great stuff into the gap between the two pieces.
CBE630AB-E6C3-48B4-ABEE-F4B58880E0E2.jpeg
BD0C1E4A-59CF-4344-BC5A-AA97DC2F108A.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom