Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion that wouldn't have proven very helpful. It took Mexico SAR over 24 hours to get the first asset in the air due to a lack of pilots or mechanical problems or whatever other excuse was used. Even if a dive op or SAR had dropped a weighted buoy that afternoon, unless it was enormous how would SAR spot it 24+ hours later by the time something could get in the air? Searching for it would prove as difficult as searching for a person. Maybe if it had a bright strobe attached that could help locate it at night and would be helpful but it becomes a very big ocean to search as hours pass due to the movement of the currents. I think about 72 hours later the possible drift patterns open up a search area almost the size of Texas... Flying across the state of Texas looking for something the size of a soccer ball isn't a good plan.

I still say the best course of action is to deploy an EPIRB as soon as a local 1 hour search or so does not locate the person. This could be a diver, snorkeler, or even someone swimming that went missing. Wherever that EPIRB floats it is broadcasting its pings to the satellites that are recording and relaying its location. Most EPIRBS broadcast 2 signals - one the satellites pick up that determine the general location of it via the Doppler effect and a 401 homing frequency SAR can pick up and fly to once they are within the general area identified by the satellites. Newer and more expensive EPIRBs have onboard GPS that broadcasts the exact Lat/Lon location to the Satellites. I truly believe if dive ops or SAR followed this practice as soon a 1-2 hour search does not locate the person, then, for up to 48-72 hours SAR is going to have a very good idea of where to search as the person floating should be in close proximity to the floating EPIRB as they are being carried in the same currents and generally subjected to the same surface wind conditions. No more screwing around with estimated current speeds and charts, wind calculations, etc. etc.

I would like to know if the U.S. Coast Guard would involve its assets in a search down by Mexico or if they are restricted or limited to SAR within a certain distance from US shores (after all, they are called the U.S. Coast Guard and it is not their duty to perform SAR off the coast of a foreign nation even for a U.S. citizen). I assume they are limited and that means rescue relies on the assets Mexico has to deploy which in this instance obviously demonstrated they are slow to mobilize, with undependable assets and pilots.

I spoke with a friend in Coz who informed me the dive community has and will continue to bring attention to how this was handled early on by Mexican SAR and hopefully something positive will come out of this incident... Like maybe Mexico SAR gets it assets in working order, has pilots on hand, and can react with a much faster response time. What would happen if a cruise ship sank quickly off the coast, 1000's of passengers and crew went in the water and it took Mexican SAR over a day to get a helicopter to the scene? Something tells me it would be an international horror story for Mexican authorities that would draw worldwide criticism but 1 diver disappearing... oh well... just another diver lost nothing to worry about. BUT Cameron's incident has made the news in a pretty big way and has drawn attention to their obvious SAR inadequacies. I was pleased to hear the governor of Q Roo contributed his private helicopter to the search and tried to make up for national inadequacies out of his control as best he could.

I apologize for this rant but if Cameron isn't rescued something positive needs to come of this that can save the lives of others who could be lost and floating at sea.

I can understand the rant. I've been raging off and on about similar things over the past days, which is how I wound up contacting my own pilots and flying my own searches outside what I knew was being done closer to Mexico... but I digress.

You highlighted the differences between first and second/third world search capabilities. With regard to the buoy mentioned, the US has capabilities that are visible via IR/satellite/other technologies. Similar idea as an EPIRB, often with a longer battery life. I used them in the military. I wish US resources could have been used. The frustration is in the red tape, and someone has to be willing to go through official channels to ask for help. I pursued the contacts at my disposal, but I knew going into it that it wouldn't be enough. At this point, I'm at the end of my available resources and I'm headed home tonight. I'm hoping more resources out of Cuba and the US can be mobilized, but the window is shrinking rapidly for a positive outcome.

My wife has contacted her contact in Miami that took her to Cuba and they are arranging a trip to Havana tomorrow where they have arranged to meet divers and the person she stayed with there. The search continues. The world is full of good people doing the right things for the right reasons.

Thanks Ray for all you are doing.
You just put a smile on Bonnie's face.
We have a large plane coming from Merida that is capable of extended offshore flights. I don't have any more info as to the flight paths.

Doesn’t seem like Cozumel has a formal standing volunteer organization independent of government resources, similar to VISAR (Virgin Islands search and rescue) in the British Virgin Islands?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cuts the red tape and has funding prior to the need for a search. Standing experts to coordinate expanding search requirements.

If not perhaps it is time to think about it.

VISAR is supported thru “voluntary” contributions from boat charterers, donations, and memberships.

In my opinion that wouldn't have proven very helpful. It took Mexico SAR over 24 hours to get the first asset in the air due to a lack of pilots or mechanical problems or whatever other excuse was used. Even if a dive op or SAR had dropped a weighted buoy that afternoon, unless it was enormous how would SAR spot it 24+ hours later by the time something could get in the air? Searching for it would prove as difficult as searching for a person. Maybe if it had a bright strobe attached that could help locate it at night and would be helpful but it becomes a very big ocean to search as hours pass due to the movement of the currents. I think about 72 hours later the possible drift patterns open up a search area almost the size of Texas... Flying across the state of Texas looking for something the size of a soccer ball isn't a good plan.

I am far from an expert on such things, but it seems to me that a kit with a small canister of helium and a tethered balloon with a mylar outer skin might make for a good radar reflector.

Doesn’t seem like Cozumel has a formal standing volunteer organization independent of government resources, similar to VISAR (Virgin Islands search and rescue) in the British Virgin Islands?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cuts the red tape and has funding prior to the need for a search. Standing experts to coordinate expanding search requirements.

If not perhaps it is time to think about it.

VISAR is supported thru “voluntary” contributions from boat charterers, donations, and memberships.

Watching reading this from afar, offering support in anyway that I can - we gotta learn from this. We have to remember the questions, problems and hurdles.

Now is not the time, the folks on the ground and afar need our support, our backing - it’s hard not being there and feeling helpless. It’s even harder for those there

My wife has contacted her contact in Miami that took her to Cuba and they are arranging a trip to Havana tomorrow where they have arranged to meet divers and the person she stayed with there. The search continues. The world is full of good people doing the right things for the right reasons.
Glad to hear someone else is pursuing searches from Cuba.

As You know they won't be able to go very far out. They are apparently pretty tightly controlled in that regard.

Please PM if you need more planes out of Miami. I have a few friends in the coast guard aux with planes.

Not sure if anyone reached out to you or the right people saw your offer, but the person organizing the search is:

Henry Schultz
Salty Endeavors Scuba Center - Scuba Schools International Dive Center #809653
https://cozumelscuba.com (312) 757-6167 from USA | (987) 111-9138 in Mexico

There have been a number of posts asking for planes so I'd urge you to reach our to Henry to see if they need help.

And thank you for the offer! (I'll also PM you as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom