Seafrogs salted Line housing with Fantasea LCD magnifier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am farsighted. I use a mask with +2 prescription lens but even with that I find difficultt read settings on the LCD display. I had thought to use the viewfinder but that would be a new routine for me to adapt to.
I had solved that problem with my Canon GX7 in Fantasea Housing with the LCD Magnifier. To look thru was like "being in a cinema" .
So I had thought to adapt the magnifier to the Seafrogs housing. I am eager to test it underwater but topside it seems OK.
I made some cuts in the magnifier rubber hood and sewed it with fishing line to the original Seagfrogs hood. I did not want to glue them just in case I could find a better idea later after use underwater.
I just sewed the upper side to make eventual re-fixation underwater easier. The original hood has 4 fixing points but the lower 2 are under the Fantasea Housing and it would be difficult (not impossible) to put them in position. The side sewed works like a hinge so I can "create" a space for my fingers to work, and then put the magnifier again in place.
I put some images in case some others would need or want some kind of LCD display magnification.

Image0001.jpg

Image0002.jpg

Regards

Very cool. Love to see a MacGyver solution.

Very neat. I imagine it will pop off if you jump into water with the camera though - the little hood that you have attached it to isn't held on very securely; you should always have a lanyard securing the hood to the housing, or you'll be out $220 in very short order.

... and if anyone is tempted to try this, I have a Fantasea housing magnifier like the one pictured which I would sell at a reasonable price.

The hood is thetered with a lanyard to the housing. That point had been taken, of course, into consideration. My main concern was (is) how difficult would be to put it in place again underwater once accidentally detached. The 2 upper fixing points seem easy to plug back, the 2 lower ones not so easy because they are covered by the magnifier hood. This was the reason I sewed only the upper side to be able to swing the Fantasea hood to facilitate pluging this 2 lower fixing points. It might still be somewhat annoying but I think this annyance is worthy giving the brighter/larger visible display.
If sea condtions allows me, I will test it thsi weekend.
Regards

I finally tested last weekend. It worked very well. The magnifier detached once but it was not too difficult to place it back in place.

Back
Top Bottom