Nitrox Fills (Northern Virginia): Shortest Turnaround Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should also point out that VA Scuba is usually open until 7 or 8 (depending on Summer or Winter hours) during the week. Though they are closed on Tue and/or Wed (again, depending on Summer or Winter). Check their site for current hours.

The only other shop around here with whose hours I am familiar closes at 6, at the latest. So, VA Scuba's later hours definitely make them more convenient for getting a fill after work, when needed.

And, they never seem to have ANY issue with staying late. Plus, they always have beer in the fridge (no charge). I try not to take advantage, but when it's needed, showing up at 7:30, hanging out, shooting the breeze, and drinking some beers while they fill my tanks is truly a no-hassle affair.

I should also point out that VA Scuba is usually open until 7 or 8 (depending on Summer or Winter hours) during the week. Though they are closed on Tue and/or Wed (again, depending on Summer or Winter). Check their site for current hours.

The only other shop around here with whose hours I am familiar closes at 6, at the latest. So, VA Scuba's later hours definitely make them more convenient for getting a fill after work, when needed.

And, they never seem to have ANY issue with staying late. Plus, they always have beer in the fridge (no charge). I try not to take advantage, but when it's needed, showing up at 7:30, hanging out, shooting the breeze, and drinking some beers while they fill my tanks is truly a no-hassle affair.

Sounds like a cool shop. I'll see about running up there Saturday after my appointment. If my commute wasn't a complete train wreck (if I don't pick up slugs heading south...it's generally 2+ hours or $20+ in tolls), I'd drop by on a weekday evening.

Sounds like a cool shop. I'll see about running up there Saturday after my appointment. If my commute wasn't a complete train wreck (if I don't pick up slugs heading south...it's generally 2+ hours or $20+ in tolls), I'd drop by on a weekday evening.

You could always stop by after work, have a beer, shoot the sh..breeze, and then do your commute after traffic settles down... :D

I'm going to NC for a Meg Tooth dive this weekend. Otherwise, I'd say to drop me a text and I'd meet you there.

Stuart thought you were a big CEA guy? Change of heart?

Reading this thread brings back fond memories of working at The Dive Shop in the Pan Am shopping center in Fairfax. One time an FBI scuba forensics trainer showed up on a Friday night around 7:00 pm in his truck pulling a long trailer full of gear and needed 70 x 80cf aluminum tanks filled. I was there filling those tanks well past the closing time of 9:00 pm.

I've lost track of all the shops since I left the area over 4 1/2 years ago. Is Chris Mullins still at Virginia Scuba?

Nautilus Aquatics (used to be Sterling Scuba) in Sterling has moved recently, so they no longer have fill capability at their new Sterling location if anyone uses them. They are close to my office so I used to occasionally use them. They now have to transport to their Vienna shop, fill, then transport back. 3-4 day turnaround. Was surprised when I took a tank in to them Monday and they told me it would be ready Thursday. Don't need it till Friday so it's fine, but good to know since thread is about getting fills quickly.

You could always stop by after work, have a beer, shoot the sh..breeze, and then do your commute after traffic settles down... :D

I'm going to NC for a Meg Tooth dive this weekend. Otherwise, I'd say to drop me a text and I'd meet you there.

I will try to get up there later this week. If it works out and becomes my regular gas source, i'll reach out and we can see about having a beer another time.:cheers:

Good luck with the Meg Ledge trip. I'm looking forward to getting down there sometime this year. Reading about the fossil diving in NC is one of the things that influenced me to get into diving.

Stuart thought you were a big CEA guy? Change of heart?

I am no longer affiliated with CEA, but that is irrelevant to this thread. VA Scuba stays open later than CEA. Getting a same-day fill at CEA is possible (sometimes), but definitely more difficult. CEA is not a place where customers go to sit around, have a beer, and shoot the breeze with the staff. And, I think the CEA price for Helium is $1.50/ft (but I'm not positive on the exact price, it could be higher), and they told me yesterday that they are about to raise their price.

VA Scuba has started having a monthly game night at the shop. I went last Saturday. The shop normally closes at 6 on Saturdays. Game night was posted as an event on FB and open to anyone. It started at 6. The shop had snacks, beer, sodas, and other drinks. A bunch of customers and staff were there playing games (some were playing some kind of card game like bridge or poker or something, while another group was playing Cards Against Humanity) until midnight. It was a ton of fun.

I still go to CEA for the things it makes sense to go for. But, for what the OP asked, VA Scuba is the place to go (in my opinion). I would have said the same thing even when I was still working for CEA.

Is Chris Mullins still at Virginia Scuba?

From what I have heard (so don't take this as Gospel, but I think it's pretty accurate) Chris is no longer the Hollis rep. He is took a job outside the scuba industry, in Manassas. He has not been teaching and not even (or barely even) diving in the last 8 or 9 months. I was told the name of the new Hollis rep, but it's escaping me right now.

I am no longer affiliated with CEA..
Any particular reason why? Seems like they've lost a few instructors in recent past

I got to drop by Virginia Scuba. I was able to get a fill and order an AL40.

I had a good time hanging out and shooting the ****. They have a very cool setup. Thanks for the recommendation @stuartv. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom