Search and Rescue - Scubaboard Staff Member - Northernone - Missing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The possibility of a scooter flooding, getting heavy and experiencing an internal short causing the scooter to "stay on" without the switch being intentionally activated are all contingencies that should obviously be considered and planned for. I am curious as to why a diver would deliberately choose to configure his scooter so that he could not instantly ditch it? Why would an extremely good and experienced diver, who dives deep along a wall, choose to rig his gear like that? What advantage would it provide?

Also, If someone is trapped in a strong current, I don't understand why that would make it more difficult to drop the scooter. Once you are moving with a current, the actual speed of it is inconsequential.

Of all the potential problems a solo diver could experience at 150 feet or deeper, on a wall in extremely strong currents, while incurring a 30-min plus deco ceiling, without the benefit of any surface support vessel; the idea of an instantaneous flooding of a scooter would not make my short list of probable causes for a failure to make a safe return to the intended exit point (or at least to the surface).

Without any more specific information, I am inclined to be skeptical about the diver using "unditchable" rigging as well as the inevitability of a fatality in the event of a scooter failure.

Let me clear this up.
When in use he clips the scooter to his waist band in front.
When just drifting and not using the scooter he will clip it off on a d ring so it will float behind leaving his hands free.
In either position it is accessable to ditch.

Let me clear this up.
When in use he clips the scooter to his waist band in front.
When just drifting and not using the scooter he will clip it off on a d ring so it will float behind leaving his hands free.
In either position it is accessable to ditch.

That's really not unusual at all. I do the same when diving with a scooter. In my experience, I've used primarily DiveX scooters and even the Cuda 650 doesn't make much headway against a 2 knot current. Some, but not much. I *highly* doubt the scooter had any significant impact on the incident.

I don't think Cameron was unable to cut away his scooter. On my dives with him he didn't use it but he didn't clip it in a way that couldn't be cut way if unable to unclip. He helped me with my gear and always we talked about contingencies to avoid my gear being in control of me.

Just a reminder to folks that the search team needs:
  • Help finding volunteer pilots with planes/helicopters in Cuba, Cancun, Houston, or Tampa/Miami. (Unfortunately, many planes/helicopters are already reserved for tourists.)
  • Donations to the GoFundMe
  • Shares of the GoFundMe on social media using the tag #FindCameronDonaldson,
  • Volunteers in Cozumel
Also, here's a direct update from the GoFundMe:
"Search Update for 3.19.19

This morning we started very early with approximately 35 volunteers and the Army walking around the North end of Cozumel. They searched for 10 hours on foot with nothing spotted in the areas they searched.

Cameron’s mom & brother took off from Playa first thing this morning and searched the coastline around Playa to Rio’ Lagartos.

Another plane became available and we were able to add three volunteers on a mid morning flight as well. They searched the island North of Cancun.

We had 4 CCR divers that dove to 60+ meters; their dive lasted approximately an hour and a half with no sign of Cameron.

We were also fortunate to have 3 volunteers on the ROV.

We want to express our deepest gratitude to Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez, the Governor, of State of Quintana Roo, Mexico for the use of their helicopter to aid in our search; it flew in a grid covering the area between Cancun & Cozumel.

In the afternoon, a plane with 5 more volunteers took off from Cancun and few a grid over the open water. (Picture) They flew around Holbox and down the shoreline to Isla Mujeres. They made two passes on the inner coastal channel between Isla Mujeres & Cancun. Then flew from Cancun to Playa. They reported great visibility, able to see channel markers easily, and people in the water from far away.

On a positive note, several turtles and a whale shark were spotted. The family would like to again thank everyone for their donations, support, messages, positive thoughts and suggestions."

I don't think Cameron was unable to cut away his scooter. On my dives with him he didn't use it but he didn't clip it in a way that couldn't be cut way if unable to unclip. He helped me with my gear and always we talked about contingencies to avoid my gear being in control of me.

Yea, given that he was diving with a pair of cylinders and in wet suit, that’s highly unlikely.

As an aside, if diving in drysuit with several cylinders at depth, it can happen. I forgot the details but not too long ago a fatality resulted in a deep dive where a DPV flooded (I think after imploding) that dragged the diver down. He recovered and that wasn’t the ultimate cause of the fatal accident, but perhaps a contributing factor in a chain of events that followed. If you have a lot of bulk and now tens of lbs negatively buoyant DPV is dragging you down, it is very difficult to reach down to the crotch strap and unclip. If doing a deep dive that can lead to serious consequences. An unlikely but potential contingency to keep in mind in deep dives.

As to Cameron, I’ve been keeping an eye on the thread expecting to read good news. We had a discussion once when the brushboard of his UV-26 crapped out and ways to get it fixed. Super nice guy. I am hoping for the best.

Urgent request for assistance - not an idle excercise.

Are any of you analytical folks able to reality check a probable drift distance / location for me. I'm tagging a few folks either because of availability or my expectation of relevant experience or analytical bent, but please jump in if you are good at this sort of analysis and bring in anyone else you think would be good by pointing them to this in a PM.
@Wookie, @The Chairman , @rsingler, @boulderjohn, @NYCNaiad, @doctormike, @tbone1004 , @lowviz , @tridacna , @TrimixToo , @kensuf

So as to not bias anyone or cause second guessing, I'm not going to give my estimation at this point, and I'm asking you to please give me your answers by private message. All I'll say is that I found my result counter-intuitive.

Assuming he is in the main horseshoe current stream ...

Please calculate the expected total drift distance based on:
- starting from the northwest end of Cozumel at 3pm on 3/16
- Ending times of 8am on 3/20
- and 5pm on 3/20
- Current maps - you will have to make your own distillation of current speed to use in calculations:
- Windy as forecasted
- earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions
- NCOM High Resolution Oceanic Model

Please let me know what value(s) you decided on for current speed.

If possible, please pull up and scale-off a map to make as specific a guess as possible as to where a target would be in that time frame. Reference directions/distances from a few easily identifiable geographic points.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thank you for all your insight and help with this incident. Once the SAR phase is complete, there will be an A&I thread spun off. I wanted one from the onset but there was so much cross posting and confusion that it was easier to merge the threads. I really hope that Cameron will be the moderator to clean this up!

Also, I promise you that almost every moderator is involved in this thread and we are discussing what to do amongst ourselves. We really don't need any more moderators, or wannabes, involved. If you have a problem with a post then report it, don't post in this thread about how the thread should be moderated.

This is the search pattern we flew today out of Cancun. In case it's of use to someone. I know that Henry has received it. NorthEast of Isla Contoy / Isla Mujeres
Yes, we were fortunate because we started with a fair amount of rain and then it cleared and the visibility was pretty awesome today - made even better with the fact that it was overcast overhead which cut down on all the reflection and sparkling in the water. The pilot told me we were mostly at 1000 feet but did go lower from time to time to look at things. Not much trash and just occasional patches of sargassum. Sadly, nothing really stood out. There were 4 spotters and the pilot and two of us had high-powered binoculars. I sure wish there was better news - but I do think the pilot did a great job. He was very experienced flying over this area and has worked with marine biologists and scientists in the area spotting whale sharks and various marine life. We all felt confident that the area was covered very well.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 SEARCH MAP.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 SEARCH MAP.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom