opinions on entry level dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Suunto Zoop Novo
Mares Puck Pro or +
Cressi Leonardo

I am in the market for my first dive computer and have narrowed it down to 3 - $300 is my upper limit but the mares puck pro is $174 now - I like that price :) I was able to test drive all 3 and think that each of them would be fine. I really like the Zoop Novo - very easy to read screen. The mares and cressi were fine too. I will be your basic recreation diver - maybe 6-10 dives a year. Does anyone have any advice, opinions, pitfalls or stories to share with a rookie? My need is I basically want the computer to track my time and depth, make sure I dont ascend to fast and make sure I finish before decompression time kicks in. I know they all do it.. but which one do you like and why.. It seems like each one has its set of problems from the suunto button and depth sensor issue to the cressi display issue to the mares bad battery seal and screen issues.. is there one that you have found is more prone than others? Any advice would be welcomed!

thanks

My first computer was a Mares Puck Pro, and I love it. I still use it on every dive as my backup even thought I bought a secondary computer with integrated air.

In fact, more often than not, I consult my puck pro instead of my Oceanic for quick information. Depth. NDL time. Water temp and so forth. Its just easier to look at my wrist really fast as opposed to pulling my SPG hose up.

The only time I refer to my Oceanic is when I need to know my gas PSI, and SAC rate.

I know it’s not on your list but I use the

Aqualung i300c

Easy to use, syncs via Bluetooth to divelog+ (a good easy to use app based dive log). On amazon for $300.

Only down sides I have found are that the wrist mount and console mounts are not interchangeable. You also can’t switch the soild wrist straps to bungee if you ever go into dry suits. Also, as I found out when the dive shop ran out of EAN while I was in the middle of a dive day, that you can’t switch it from Nitrox to Air within 24 hours of the Nitrox dive so I had to just set a second gas mix at 21%.

But over all it’s a soild entry level comp that’s easy to use and flexible enough to serve me for a long time or until I make a huge change in my diving (rebreather or decompression diving, and there is an argument for nothing more then a simple dive computer for deco diving as well).

Nice that you were able to test out all three! I bought my Leonardo online without having tried a wrist-mounted computer and was a little surprised and annoyed at how big it was. I've also found the buckle annoying; I have to put it on after my wetsuit and take it off before I can pull the top half down, and I wish I could buy an elastic band to replace it (I know a lot of people go the DIY route, but I'm nervous about messing up and losing my computer.) Also I've found the ascent rate alarm to be rather annoyingly sensitive. But other than that, it's a good dive computer.

I suggest you choose the one that has (to you) the most intuitive interface, because at 6-10 dives a year (on short trip?) you'll be starting over to learn it each time you use it. Another consideration is how to get data out of it....and I think the Mares Puck Pro+ is the only one with Bluetooth.....MUCH better than a cable.

Suunto Zoop Novo
Mares Puck Pro or +
Cressi Leonardo

None of the above, None of them at all.

Best choices:

1. i300C Dive Computer (with back-light and Bluetooth no need for USB cable)

2. i100 Dive Computer (No back-light and no Bluetooth. Will need a USB cable to download and update firmware)

3. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...uters/aladin-sport-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

4. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/computers/wrist-computers/aladin-one-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

Hi @jimmyt

There are many computers available at <$300, take a look at Leisurepro for an example. There are also many other threads regarding a 1st computer, perhaps you have read some of them. For an inexperienced diver, intending on doing just a few dives per year, any basic dive computer is probably just fine and offers all necessary functions. If you intend to download your dives, keep in mind that you will need to purchase an optional cable, often at excessive cost. Only the Aqua Lung i300C, mentioned above, has Bluetooth in your price range.

Many of the less expensive computers, including the 3 you listed, have one button. Many find one button tedious to maneuver the menus. Other computers in the price range have, 2, 3, or 4 buttons and may be easier to use.

It may not be important to you, but there are also significant differences in the decompression algorithms employed in the conservative to moderate to liberal spectrum. Mares, Suunto, and Cressi all run versions of Reduced Gradient Bubble model (RGBM), generally regarded as conservative, Suunto perhaps less so. Aqua Lung runs PZ+, considered moderate. Oceanic runs PZ+ as well as DSAT, considered liberal.

In addition to the 3 computers you listed, you may want to take a look at the Aqua Lung i100, i200, and i300C as well as the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and Veo 2.0. The Geo 2.0 is currently available for $270 pending release of the new Geo 4.0 at $400. The Geo 2.0 would require a download cable, generally costing $99, the Geo 4.0 will have Bluetooth.

Best of luck in your computer purchase.

I am honestly surprised that 8 replies in no-one has yet tried to convince the OP that what he really needs is a 850 Shearwater Perdix AI or a 1095 Shearwater Teric. That has to be some kind of record and is making me wonder what is going on with this board, is everyone ok? LOL

In addition to the 3 computers you listed, you may want to take a look at the Aqua Lung i100, i200, and i300C as well as the Oceanic Geo 2.0 and Veo 2.0. The Geo 2.0 is currently available for $270 pending release of the new Geo 4.0 at $400. The Geo 2.0 would require a download cable, generally costing $99, the Geo 4.0 will have Bluetooth.

You are forgetting the two offerings from SP:

1. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...uters/aladin-sport-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

2. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/computers/wrist-computers/aladin-one-matrix-wrist-dive-computer

The current offerings from Oceanic are dated and don't have Bluetooth and require an expensive USB cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom