Advice for taking a camera rig when following a line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRWOwl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just using a compact rig, but wanted to know what people recommend for following a line to a mooring at certain sites. I've done it before, just holding onto it with one hand and hop down with the other but I'm curious if others clip off their camera or alternate which hand they have it in.

My rig has a tether which I clip to my left hip D-ring. The tether is fixed to the lower left side of my tray. I've also tied a boltsnap to the top of the right side tray handle. If I'm too busy diving to properly handle my rig, I stow the strobe arms and clip the rig off to one of my shoulder D-rings (usually the left hand D-ring). If i don't have time to prepare, but need both hands for diving I just let go of my rig and let it dangle from its tether while I'm busy diving.

When I used a compact without strobes, I basically did the same. Only difference was, I didn't have to stow the strobe arms before clipping off the rig.

For cold water, I clip my camera rig to my BCD similar to storker (here's a video with details).

For warm water I don't use a lanyard, but I do keep a small handle with carabiners at both ends. I use that as a handle for the rig topside and for entering/exiting the water. Underwater, I can quickly use that to clip off the camera rig and let it dangle in order to free my hands (e.g. hang on a line in current and hold another diver). The issue with hand-holding a line and a camera comes when you use a wrist computer, which is difficult to check with both arms occupied. My wrist computer face is on the inside of my wrist, making it easy to check even with camera in that arm. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom