Where to go in April for a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuba has had good resorts/dive support for tourists for decades - just not for Americans. Our Canadian/Mexican friends have known this for years.

My sister in law went to Cuba last year, they couldn't use credit cards where they went, it needed to be cash, not sure if it was just american bank cards that didn't work.

I would consider:
Saba - cool boat dives - pitons under water.
Belize - if you want to go closer to the sites a liveaboard or a resort on the smaller islands https://huracandiving.com/
Roatan - tons of choices - cheaper, easier travel - can get direct flights to roatan.

have fun!

You say you’ve been to Caymans. Have you hit all of them - Little, Brac, and both East and West ends of Grand (which may as well be separate islands, except you can drive.)

Same applies a bit to Curacao, depending where you based yourself you could pick a very different area of the island and have a different trip.

Liveaboard?

Thanks for the reply. No, haven't hit all the spots in the Caymans but this time I'm looking for a brand new destination. Have thought about a liveaboard several times but not what I'm looking for this trip.

Thanks for the reply. No, haven't hit all the spots in the Caymans but this time I'm looking for a brand new destination. Have thought about a liveaboard several times but not what I'm looking for this trip.
Based on what you've stated so far, I think I would go with Bonaire. Not sure where you live or what airport you are flying into and out of though?
Bonaire is a shore diving paradise, but you never have to go shore diving and many people never do. People pick a nice resort to stay at and boat dive every day from there. If you wanted to do a lot of boat diving, mixed with super easy shore diving from your resort location, then I would put Den Laman Condominiums, Buddy Dive and Captain Don's Habitat at the top of the list. I would still rent a truck though. So many great restaurants downtown, some beautiful driving around the island to sight see and in the event you want to do some exploratory shore diving at easy entry/exit locations, you have the ability to do that.

Given the urgency of an April timeframe, I would directly contact any of the 3 locations mentioned above or contact Bonaire Travel : Diving, Windsurfing, Snorkeling, Hotels & Resorts on Bonaire | BonairePros.com and tell them what you want and let them give you options and arrange it all for you.

AOW/Nitrox Certified, Diving since 1977, Cozumel is my favorite for the drift diving, walls and coral

Looking for a new spot to dive in the Caribbean for a week in April. Have been to Bahamas, Caymans, Cozumel, St. Kitts, Turks & Caicos, Jamaica. Don't want to fight currents and don't care about wrecks. Don't want to ride the boat a l-o-n-g time to get to good dive spots. Would be nice to have good shore diving as an option but at 66 I don't want to drag equipment over distances. Don't care about clubs or nightlife. Flexible about food but certainly don't mind a good restaurant or two. Not looking for a fancy all-inclusive or a low-end dive-only hotel. Any thoughts on a new place to try?

See my response here to a post with questions about the Riviera Maya.

You are almost describing Puerto Aventuras. We've been going down there for about a dozen years or so, and going back this May.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions. FYI, Greensboro is my closest airport but I've flown out of Raleigh and Charlotte for better prices. Hadn't thought about when Easter falls. Could wait until May if prices are better. Leaning towards Bonaire but will take a day or two to check out some of the other mentions. Will post again when I've made my decisions. Thanks again.

Based on what you've stated so far, I think I would go with Bonaire. Not sure where you live or what airport you are flying into and out of though?
Bonaire is a shore diving paradise, but you never have to go shore diving and many people never do. People pick a nice resort to stay at and boat dive every day from there. If you wanted to do a lot of boat diving, mixed with super easy shore diving from your resort location, then I would put Den Laman Condominiums, Buddy Dive and Captain Don's Habitat at the top of the list. I would still rent a truck though. So many great restaurants downtown, some beautiful driving around the island to sight see and in the event you want to do some exploratory shore diving at easy entry/exit locations, you have the ability to do that.

Given the urgency of an April timeframe, I would directly contact any of the 3 locations mentioned above or contact Bonaire Travel : Diving, Windsurfing, Snorkeling, Hotels & Resorts on Bonaire | BonairePros.com and tell them what you want and let them give you options and arrange it all for you.

So I'm focused on Bonaire for this trip. Will look at some of the other suggested locales for other trips. Just figuring out the flights was tough enough due to the limited schedules. Looks like Delta is my cheapest option and they only go there on Sat & Sun. When I started looking at lodging locations and dive operations over my 6 week window (changing prices and availabilities) it felt like throwing darts blindfolded since I'm unfamiliar with the island. Decided to give BonairePros a shot to see if they could cut out some of the hassle. Their PDF Guide to Flights was very helpful. Filled in their online form and described what I was looking for. Got a reply saying it would be Saturday before they could get back to me. Not inspiring but we'll see what they come up with. Buddy Dive must be really popular as there was no availability on Travelocity during my time frame. Prices on Travelocity varied by as much as $100/night for the same room at several of the places. If BonairePros doesn't work out I'll probably contact individual hotels directly. Will report back.

Right after I wrote this post I got another email from BonairePros saying it will be Monday instead of Saturday. Now even less inspiring.

So I'm focused on Bonaire for this trip. Will look at some of the other suggested locales for other trips. Just figuring out the flights was tough enough due to the limited schedules. Looks like Delta is my cheapest option and they only go there on Sat & Sun. When I started looking at lodging locations and dive operations over my 6 week window (changing prices and availabilities) it felt like throwing darts blindfolded since I'm unfamiliar with the island. Decided to give BonairePros a shot to see if they could cut out some of the hassle. Their PDF Guide to Flights was very helpful. Filled in their online form and described what I was looking for. Got a reply saying it would be Saturday before they could get back to me. Not inspiring but we'll see what they come up with. Buddy Dive must be really popular as there was no availability on Travelocity during my time frame. Prices on Travelocity varied by as much as $100/night for the same room at several of the places. If BonairePros doesn't work out I'll probably contact individual hotels directly. Will report back.

Right after I wrote this post I got another email from BonairePros saying it will be Monday instead of Saturday. Now even less inspiring.
Let me know if Bonaire Pros doesn't get you hooked up and if you need any other advice- Happy to help. I'd contact Den Laman Condominiums. If they have space available for your dates, they will handle all the details for you of diving, rental truck and accommodations. You just need to get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom