Philippines dive trip report, Malipascua, Coron and Alona Beach, Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottVA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I spent the month of February checking off a few bucket list items. I traveled from Dulles Airport, Northern Va (Korean Air) to Cebu. Stayed the first week at Tapanee Beach Resort in Malipascua. The resort is close enough to be convenient but far enough away to not be bothered by the party crowd on the main beach.

Dove with Mahubay Thresher Divers and have nothing but good things to say about them. Easy, convenient, the boats had plenty of shade and seating. I did Gato Island a few times, hard to get board of that dive location. Also did several reefs surrounding Malipascua and all were excellent. I did private transfers to and from Cebu Airport to Malipascua which the folks at Tapanee were happy to arrange for me, for what I consider to be a very reasonable price of 800 php each way, both private car and private boat.

The second week was at Coron and I stayed at Asia Grand View Resort which was again, close enough to be convenient but far enough away from the main strip to have some peace and quiet during the evenings. I dove with Fun & Sun Divers which is a great dive shop with large boats that have lots of shade and plenty of seating, (as well really great lunches prepared by the crew). Coron was considerably more crowded than Malipascua and is growing in leaps an bounds. Almost every block on the main strip had a new hotel construction project going on. Pretty soon that place will be even more over crowded than it already is... Better get there soon if i'ts on your list. And if it isn't on your list it should be. The wreck diving there is amazing!

Third week was spent in Alona Beach, Bohol, intentionally meant to be the more "relaxing" focused part of the trip rather than diving. I splurged on Henaan Resort and was very happy to stay at a five star resort for my last week. I wasn't expecting the diving to be great but my mind was blown at Balaicasag Island and surrounding reefs. Boy was I wrong! I dove with Go Scuba-Diving, Alona Beach, who had great boats with lots of shade and sitting room. I was surprised to learn that you need to book Balicasag Island a couple weeks in advance due to the strict limits on daily visitors to the Island. I got lucky and another diver canceled their spot so space was available for me on the next days boat.

Thanks to others who have posted here on Scuba Board I was able to plan my trip to the Philippines and make good choices for dive destinations. Check out my You Tube page for videos!

Malapascua:

Coron:

Balicasag Island and nearby Reefs:

Thanks for posting your report! I really appreciate it. I am off to the Philippines in a couple of weeks for my first dive trip there and am really looking forward to it. I decided to spend the entire 11 days in Puerto Galera this time around, but look forward to future trips and exploring other islands and dive locales.

Very nice, thank you.

Thank you so much for sharing!
We're going to Malapascua and Bohol in 16 days - will put Gato Island back on my list of dive sites:)

thanks for the report and the cool videos....

Hey folks! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I spent the month of February checking off a few bucket list items. I traveled from Dulles Airport, Northern Va (Korean Air) to Cebu. Stayed the first week at Tapanee Beach Resort in Malipascua. The resort is close enough to be convenient but far enough away to not be bothered by the party crowd on the main beach.

Dove with Mahubay Thresher Divers and have nothing but good things to say about them. Easy, convenient, the boats had plenty of shade and seating. I did Gato Island a few times, hard to get board of that dive location. Also did several reefs surrounding Malipascua and all were excellent. I did private transfers to and from Cebu Airport to Malipascua which the folks at Tapanee were happy to arrange for me, for what I consider to be a very reasonable price of 800 php each way, both private car and private boat.

The second week was at Coron and I stayed at Asia Grand View Resort which was again, close enough to be convenient but far enough away from the main strip to have some peace and quiet during the evenings. I dove with Fun & Sun Divers which is a great dive shop with large boats that have lots of shade and plenty of seating, (as well really great lunches prepared by the crew). Coron was considerably more crowded than Malipascua and is growing in leaps an bounds. Almost every block on the main strip had a new hotel construction project going on. Pretty soon that place will be even more over crowded than it already is... Better get there soon if i'ts on your list. And if it isn't on your list it should be. The wreck diving there is amazing!

Third week was spent in Alona Beach, Bohol, intentionally meant to be the more "relaxing" focused part of the trip rather than diving. I splurged on Henaan Resort and was very happy to stay at a five star resort for my last week. I wasn't expecting the diving to be great but my mind was blown at Balaicasag Island and surrounding reefs. Boy was I wrong! I dove with Go Scuba-Diving, Alona Beach, who had great boats with lots of shade and sitting room. I was surprised to learn that you need to book Balicasag Island a couple weeks in advance due to the strict limits on daily visitors to the Island. I got lucky and another diver canceled their spot so space was available for me on the next days boat.

Thanks to others who have posted here on Scuba Board I was able to plan my trip to the Philippines and make good choices for dive destinations. Check out my You Tube page for videos!

Malapascua:

Coron:

Balicasag Island and nearby Reefs:

You were only charged 800php one way from Cebu Mactan airport to Malapascua?! I read 2500 php was the rate for a private car from Cebu to Maya.

Nice report...I'll be doing a similar itinery (sans Coron) in a couple weeks.

Thanks for posting your report! I really appreciate it. I am off to the Philippines in a couple of weeks for my first dive trip there and am really looking forward to it. I decided to spend the entire 11 days in Puerto Galera this time around, but look forward to future trips and exploring other islands and dive locales.
Do you speak Korean or Mandarin...both will come in very handy?

Hi Scott! Thank you for sharing the report and video! May I ask which month did you went? Do you still have the contact from the Tapanee where we can contact for transfer from Cebu to Malipascua? Cheers! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom