Zip Ties for Mouthpieces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Very basic question: is there a specific zip tie size/type that is preferable for securing mouthpieces? I'm assuming these are standard zip ties, and no need to buy scuba-specific ties?

Yes, just don't get anything too thin or cheap. There is a "no bump" version sold by XS Scuba that I keep on hand for when a service kit doesn't include one, that is a little more scuba friendly, but not by much.

yes standard zip ties available anywhere, 6 or 8 inch and cut away the excess. May want to file down any extra left so it does not cut your mouth.

not the cheapest, but cheap 2 dollar shop type cheap, Aldi specials, supermarket

anywhere but reputable places that charge more for the same thing

Scuba specific ties? If they even exist then they are the same zip-ties you buy at the hardware store but in a different package and with a lot higher price tag.

Just don't use ones that are too big or you will feel the cinching block with your lip. Also the way you secure it should have the cinching block on the side for the same reason.

R..

Get the outdoor ones for salt and UV resistance. They won't fall apart. Home depot has them. Greenlee, I think.

one of two recommendations
This one is more secure, uses a stainless steel tongue. Downside is they are still the thick profile and for a mouthpiece in particular, you want to shave the tail
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DEHV36/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These ones use a low profile locking mechanism which is nicer for mouthpieces IMO
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-53112-...bra+tie&qid=1552585959&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0

They do need to be a minimum of 7" for mouthpieces as an FYI

There is (at least) one marketed as being "ideal" for scuba:

All Purpose Nylon Tie Wraps, Black (Qty 5)

But I agree with @Diver0001 about the price tag in this case. I can verify the "bump" on these DGX ones is quite small and unobtrusive.

I agree that it isn't really a deep investment, but the price is still 20 times more per tie wrap than the exact same product if you bought it online in a larger quantity.

Obviously it's not about the money but the fact that some bozo bought a bunch of tie-wraps bulk, repackaged them with no other form of added value whatsoever and is selling them to naive people who are supposed to think that SCUBA tie-wraps are somehow special.... well, that irritates me. It's dishonest in my book, which is as good a reason as any to NOT buy them just on principle alone.

There is nothing about scuba diving that makes a run-of-the-mill tie-wrap that you might buy at the grocery store unsuitable for securing a mouthpiece.

That said, there ARE some tie-wraps that are not fit for purpose. I've seen some that were such bad quality that the cable would pull back through the cinching block with ease. We had a batch of these at my work, which was irritating because it caused an hour of delays. That hour cost us more than 50000 tie-wraps of higher quality would have cost us. Long live the "cheap is better" mentality of the purchasing department.

... so there is a point of being "penny wise, pound foolish", but the marketing of "scuba specific" doesn't convince me.

R..

Rob...

Size/type has been addressed...

The tool shown in attachment is a full time occupant in my dive tool box...tightens the zip tie to a pressure which is adjustable...and snips off the tail just slightly below the surface of the head...no sanding or self-trimming of the sometimes sharp tail end is necessary...

This gun is from Uline...the ''economy version''...$20...worth every penny...

Best...

Warren
DSCF1172.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom