Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) - A woman who died after scuba diving off St. Pete Beach had complained of a gear malfunction before her death, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

Kimberly Houtz, 54, had been scuba diving and spearfishing with her boyfriend, the captain of the boat and two other passengers in the Gulf of Mexico about 13 miles off the coast.

At about 10:15 a.m., authorities say Houtz and her boyfriend stopped to dive a popular wreck that was in about 37 feet of water. Witnesses told investigators Houtz had complained about a diving equipment malfunction but continued with the dive.

Houtz was underwater for less than five minutes before she rose to the surface in distress.

She was pulled back onto the boat and reported feeling nauseous and experiencing abdominal pain. She also had trouble breathing.

As they headed back to shore, Houtz began losing consciousness. The occupants on the boat radioed for assistance and began performing CPR.

An Eckerd College Search and Rescue Team met them about a mile offshore and a paramedic administered shocks from an automated electronic defibrillator (AED) and used oxygen to treat Houtz.

Once they reached land, Houtz was taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg Hospital to be treated for life-threatening injuries. She died Saturday at 3:15 p.m.

Detectives say her death appears to be accidental in nature.

Her official cause of death will be determined by the Medical Examiner's Office.
A good reminder for new divers to ensure your gear is operating correctly, and if not, fix it or don't dive. And while the article doesn't say the cause of death and we don't know for sure, it's a safe assumption that pulmonary barotrama is at play in this case. Whether a panic bolt to the surface or a runaway inflator, don't hold your breath while diving... ever.

Diving Doc: Pulmonary Barotrauma
Guy I work with a wife works with a family member of the lady that passed. That's how I heard first about it and came here to see if it was posted. Very sorry for the family

You think fast ascents have no DCS risk?

From 37'? No more risk than a slow ascent. If anything the fast ascent will decrease DCS risk because the bottom time is shorter.

As you read more in the A and I forum, you will find that there is seldom any more information following the initial post. The information that @NYdiver_666 gave in his post is out of the ordinary for a thread in this forum. As far as getting a report after an investigation, I can't remember the last time there was one here. If anyone can think of one chime in. In one case the investigation report was not released on the request of the family, and in any event it is no longer news, it won't hit the paper, and someone would have to track down and request it from the reporting agency.

Bob

It doesn't happen here, but there's no reason why not. All anyone has to do is enter a public records request with the investigating agency, and pay a couple of dollars (shouldn't be more than 5 or so). FWIW, a family cannot just ask for a report not to be released, a Judge would have to order that. Public records are public records.

FWIW, I don't know if the inflator was the issue in this case or if gear played any role. I only mentioned it as one possibility. Another possibility could be her reg was free flowing from IP creep top side and she figured it would correct itself once underwater and maybe it didn't and she panicked and held her breath to the surface.

I just unhooked the hose and mouth-inflated for the rest of the day.
Just as all certified divers are taught in their first pool session.....and nearly all forget afterwards.

A squirt of spay silicone in the pressure fitting once in a while will help to keep them lubricated until you can do a full service.
I'd suggest avoiding spray silcone in your breathing circuit....

It doesn't happen here, but there's no reason why not. All anyone has to do is enter a public records request with the investigating agency, and pay a couple of dollars (shouldn't be more than 5 or so).

The reason I see for it not being done is that someone would have to go out of there way to do it, the thread is usually dead for months before a report would available, so there would be little interest for one to spend the time and money. And a side note, you would have to know the jurisdiction in which the record resides when making the request.

Up thread someone said in LA it was $20 and a year after the accident.

FWIW, a family cannot just ask for a report not to be released, a Judge would have to order that. Public records are public records.

I don't know the mechanics, I had read it was done in one case, and I couldn't tell you definitively that it was in the US.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom