Diving with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tool Belt & @Storker, I need to ask my Dr. about that again, then. I’ve been told by 3 different Dr.s over the past 10 years, most recently this past Sept., that the curvatures in my eyes are too bad, and that the softs aren’t strong enough for what I need. I knew there were progressives, but most people I talk to say they have problems with them. I use the XS Scuba mask with 1.75 reader lenses in the lower field which works well for me, but it would be nice to ditch the reading glasses when on land.

I need to ask my Dr. about that again, then. I’ve been told by 3 different Dr.s over the past 10 years, most recently this past Sept., that the curvatures in my eyes are too bad, and that the softs aren’t strong enough for what I need.
It may well be that even today's softs can't correct as serious astigmatism as hard lenses or glasses can. But I still remember when I couldn't have my astigmatism corrected with contacts.

How serious is your astigmatism? I need only one diopter cylinder correction.

@Tool Belt & @Storker, I need to ask my Dr. about that again, then. I’ve been told by 3 different Dr.s over the past 10 years, most recently this past Sept., that the curvatures in my eyes are too bad, and that the softs aren’t strong enough for what I need. I knew there were progressives, but most people I talk to say they have problems with them. I use the XS Scuba mask with 1.75 reader lenses in the lower field which works well for me, but it would be nice to ditch the reading glasses when on land.

I have weird eyes, left eye uses an astigmatic (SPH +0.75 CYL -2.25) Right eye has a multi-focal (PWR -3.25 ADD +1.50)
I am corrected to monovision and can get away without readers a lot of the time but for great vision I use readers.

It may well be that even today's softs can't correct as serious astigmatism as hard lenses or glasses can. But I still remember when I couldn't have my astigmatism corrected with contacts.

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know. I was first diagnosed with “severe” astigmatism in ‘76 (at 14 years old, I didn’t care about the specifics) and put in glasses, as that was the only option at the time, softs were ruled out. Early to mid ‘80s was told that hard contacts were available that would work for me, so got some in ‘85. Even from the first pair they were bitoric (I only know this because an eye Dr in a different city was putting me in a new pair and only made them toric, which didn’t work well). As an adult they were always just a part of life, so, again, I was never too concerned about the specifics. Now, however, you have motivated me to find out. I’ll let you know.

@caruso, sorry I wasn’t more specific. I meant patients with really bad astigmatism.

I have worn soft contacts for 30+ years and monovision for about 6 years then this past month was switched to a toric contact in the right eye. Made a huge ditterence in my distant vision. Contact 4.0 left and 7.5 right. The monovision contacts did take some getting use too but overall I am pleased. I don’t know the degree of astigmatism but must be mild.

Well If u care about your eye health. Best to always throw away contacts after use of diving incase any salt water get behind your contact. But hey u only get one set of eyes so why not take the chance.
I don't throw away my hard lenses after every dive.

Sorry to high jack this thread more than it already has been, but when you say “soft contacts are fine for diving” are you saying rigid gas permeable (rpg) contacts aren’t? Or, are you reassuring the OP that it’s OK to dive with soft contacts? Just want to make sure that there isn’t something about diving with RPG’s that I should be aware of.
Thanks,
Erik
I have many years in diving RGP's with no problems other than a little fogginess after some near NDL dives. And one occasionally falls into my mask.

@diverrex, that’s interesting, I never would have thought that they would be stored dry. I’ve never kept a spare set so never looked into it. I assumed they were stored in solution since Any new ones I’ve gotten came that way. Fortunately, in sixty + dives, I’ve never lost a pair. Even the first set that I got in the mid 80’s were great for diving.

I’ve asked about soft lenses, as rumor has it that astigmatism patients can now wear them, but mine are bitoric, so I would be better off with an rx mask. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I store all my spares wet. Nobody told me any different and it has worked fine. I have astigmatism from corneal grafts and soft lenses just won't take care of it.

My astigmatism can't be corrected by glasses either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom