Shearwater Teric Questions - OC Rec settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Initial impressions, as everybody already knows WOW. The build quality is extraordinary. Very well made hardware.

Menus are great. To be honest with myself and you guys, WAY more computer than I will ever need.

Few questions for those in the know. Looks like my unit came with Firmware V12 - site has V11 listed as newest. Just sayin... not sure why or what's up.

I'll be diving it in OC Rec mode at first for sure. My main questions are regarding Gradient Factors as I start to delve in. I have read a fair amount and my understanding is still a bit cloudy. All the tech and science of it aside (yes I know what you're going to say, just keep listening). How much of a real world practical difference is there between Low 45/95 Med 40/85 High 35/75?

I intend to start with "High" just to compare with my previous computers and even busted out my old original Suunto Cobra that I did hundreds of dives with and plan to run it with the Teric just to see how they stack up.

My other big question at this point is regarding the safety stop "adaptive" setting. I am ASSUMING that as stated in the manual, in OC Rec, once you dive below 35' a safety stop will be required and that the adaptive setting will then use whatever algorithm to determine 3, 4, or 5 minute safety stop based on the rest of your dive. Just want to make sure there aren't any situations where it wouldn't require at least 3 minutes UNLESS you didn't dive beyond 35'. I like the concept of adaptive as long as it's going to add that safety stop no matter what as soon as I pass the 35' marker.

Pretty stoked already, can't wait for all this rain to stop so I can go get wet! LOL, the irony.

My other big question at this point is regarding the safety stop "adaptive" setting. I am ASSUMING that as stated in the manual, in OC Rec, once you dive below 35' a safety stop will be required and that the adaptive setting will then use whatever algorithm to determine 3, 4, or 5 minute safety stop based on the rest of your dive. Just want to make sure there aren't any situations where it wouldn't require at least 3 minutes UNLESS you didn't dive beyond 35'. I like the concept of adaptive as long as it's going to add that safety stop no matter what as soon as I pass the 35' marker.
Your assumption is correct. Except....the SS is not "required," in the sense you can ignore it off if you wish and the computer does not care. Some computers will lock you out if you violate them in any way. One nice thing about the Teric is it assumes you are an adult and capable of making your own decisions...it just provides information without wrist-slaps..

I did read that in the manual that it is not "required" - I should have worded my question differently. Thanks for confirming though.

You can set the safety stop for off, 3 min, 4 min, 5 min or adaptive. The adaptive SS will be 3 min, unless you go below 100 ft or come within 5 min of the NDL, it will then be 5 min.

There are pretty significant differences between GFs 45/95, 40/85, and 35/75. Only the GF high applies for no stop diving and determines the NDL. 45/95 is quite liberal (longer NDL), 40/85 moderate, and 35/75 quite conservative (shorter NDL). 35/75 will probably be more conservative than your Suunto, but you can see. I would imagine 40/85 would end up being more similar.

If you're interested, you can see how some of the most common decompression algorithms performed in a series of 4 standard dives in a hyperbaric chamber, though Suunto was not included Buddy Dive's Using Different Algorithms (computers) This thread also discusses other issues you may be interested in regarding setting your GFs

Perfect! THANK YOU!!!

Few questions for those in the know. Looks like my unit came with Firmware V12 - site has V11 listed as newest. Just sayin... not sure why or what's up.

FYI FW v12 is apparently due out imminently. I don't know if it's a major release or not. If it is, there's probably some revisions to the manual (currently on Rev C) that would need to be done. Enjoy!

Teric firmware v12 is a very minor change, just needed to support an alternate flash memory chip. It only needs to be installed on hardware with that flash chip, which is only for newly manufactured units that ship with v12 installed. Since it has no impact on other units, we didn't release it publicly.

There is a feature release upcoming, but I can't provide an exact release date until it passes testing.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

Quick question on the Teric @tcoen. What happens when the battery is exhausted? Is the device at end of life or can the battery be replaced?
Thank you.

Hi Compressor,
The Teric is serviceable like our other computers. Once the battery is at the end of its life users will be able to send it into the factory or one of our authorized Service Centers for a battery replacement.

There is a feature release upcoming, but I can't provide an exact release date until it passes testing.

Do you have user beta testing? If so, I'll put my hand up.

Back
Top Bottom