Looking for Scenic Shore Discover Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@gr8jab I've also thought that a boat dive might be better, but can't convince her of that.

@DandyDon Yes, for my wife her last time to try diving was November of 1997 at the Chankanaab Park lagoon. Our whole family has snorkeled a lot, and my wife has been wanting to see if she can do scuba (and she wants my daughter to do it with her). I've been concerned about my wife being able to dive as well, and finally talked her into doing a Discover Scuba heated pool dive near home this weekend to see if she is up to the basics. These days we see more and more things about people with serious disabilities doing scuba (which is great), but I'm not sure where someone like my wife (many health issues, but not what you'd consider disabled) who wants to dive fits in.

@gr8jab I've also thought that a boat dive might be better, but can't convince her of that.

@DandyDon Yes, for my wife her last time to try diving was November of 1997 at the Chankanaab Park lagoon. Our whole family has snorkeled a lot, and my wife has been wanting to see if she can do scuba (and she wants my daughter to do it with her). I've been concerned about my wife being able to dive as well, and finally talked her into doing a Discover Scuba heated pool dive near home this weekend to see if she is up to the basics. These days we see more and more things about people with serious disabilities doing scuba (which is great), but I'm not sure where someone like my wife (many health issues, but not what you'd consider disabled) who wants to dive fits in.

I'd be concerned that one who struggles with a boat ladder even without gear does not have the fitness for scuba. If she has health issues then she needs to see a diving doc now to determine if she is ok to dive. She's going to have to fill out a medical form anyway before diving and anything is going to need a doctor's clearance.

Maybe she is insisting on a shore dive because it gives her an easier option to bail out at the last minute? If she goes out on a boat and decides against it at the moment of truth, she's still stuck with being on the boat for half a day and paying a lot of money.

I'd be concerned that one who struggles with a boat ladder even without gear does not have the fitness for scuba

I was thinking the exact same thing as I read through this thread and came across the post by @ReefHound.

If your wife is in such poor physical shape that she can't even climb a boat ladder then she probably shouldn't be diving at all. If she's extremely overweight as I suspect, and is struggling with diabetes, hypertension, and/or back problems along with other associated medical conditions, those issues need to be addressed for a multitude of reasons, the least of which is being able to scuba dive.

She's getting a medical form completed by her doctor. I appreciate everyone's concern (and I have some too) but rather than have people start making assumptions about her health, perhaps we could steer the discussion back to the main topic of this thread: ideas for a scenic Discover Scuba shore dive; and especially, does anyone know of Discover dives currently being done in the Chankanaab Park lagoon and does anyone know how the shore diving is near El Cid Hotel?

Glad to hear your considering a test dive back home.

I've enjoyed helping people with many shapes and conditions enjoy diving. Among them are a good 200 who certainly couldn't climb a dive boat ladder and yet love diving.

If you can get in touch with someone who understands adapting diving to personal challenges it's likely surprising how enjoyable being weightless underwater can be.

About the shore diving. There are pretty fish at paprika and the entry there is easy. More importantly, divers have killed the reef close to the entry spot so there is a dead section to practice skills on before visiting the surviving reef.

If your daughter is not interested in diving, it's possible 10 or 100,000 pretty fish won't make a difference for her ongoing interest. How does she enjoy snorkeling?

As a consideration before the info below: Having control and skills developed before visiting a fragile eco system like the coral in front of Chankanaab Park lagoon is precious recommendation for the health of the reef. I see people accidentally destroying hundreds of years of growth without knowing every time I meet a DSD group out on the reef.

In answer to your question directly: as of a few months ago I have seen DSD dives lead out of Chankanaab tourist attraction.

Thanks northernon, do you know who the Dive Op is that is leading those?

Best I can tell, it's available once you pay entrence to the tourist area. In house dive op with tanks, rental gear and (I hope) an instructor.

@RayfromTX might have first hand info from a couple years back...

Here's some info I just found online:
Screenshot_20190307-153859_Chrome.jpg

I really do hope you consider other options though.

@northernone Thanks, could you please share the link where you found that? I've searched on only found mention of this on web sites that look to be out-dated.

Pulled that off the frequently asked questions section of their trip advisor page. It was a ways down among other comments.

@Rob9876

Contact Gilmer F. Helguera via Facebook. He is very responsive to messages. He runs a dive shop in Chankanaab Park. You can also check out his FB page, lots of nice pics of ppl doing Discover Scuba.

I did several Discover Scuba dives with him back in the day and he was the one who got me hooked. I also did Discover Scuba with other shops in town, but the experience was nowhere near the experience I had at Chankanaab.

Chankanaab has nice scenery under the water (sufficient for a Discover Scuba Diver anyway), and sandy bottom, so no worries of diving on top of coral formations where buoyancy issues can cause havoc. If I recall correctly, the route they normally use for Discover dives has a big coral head, a fish ball, some manmade statues, and a swim through where a ball of silver fish and a barracuda hang out. Very nice for beginning divers.

Chankanaab also has very clean change rooms and washrooms and a restaurant/bar. The dive shop has lockers with a key, and fresh water showers. After the dive you can lounge on the manmade beach and enjoy the sunshine and a drink.

Honestly, it can’t be compared with the Tikila shore dive under water or re onshore facilities. Chankanaab is just overall much better, but then you have to pay an entrance fee to Chankanaab. Ask Gilmer if you can get a discount on the entrance fee if you’re diving with him.

I haven’t dived with him in years but still remember him and the shore dives because it was so pleasant. I would even dive with him at Chankanaab nowadays if I wanted to do shore dives in Cozumel and relax on the “beach” afterward.

Back
Top Bottom